Judith Feder, dean of the Georgetown Public Policy Institute, has been appointed member of the Institute of Medicine in the National Academies, one of the highest recognitions granted to individuals in medicine and health related fields.

With her appointment, Feder will commit to investing a significant amount of time in volunteer activities for health policy issues. Feder has devoted much of her research to health policy, particularly to issues related to Medicare and Medicaid security.

“I’m always engaged in community service,” Feder said, “so this will just become one of the forums.”

The Institute of Medicine was established in 1970 by the National Academy of Sciences and today is recognized as a national resource for independent analysis and recommendations on human health issues, according to the institute’s Web site.

Feder has experience as a researcher in some of the nation’s most prestigious think tanks, including the Brookings Institution and The Urban Institute. Feder has also served as policy analyst for the executive branch on President Bill Clinton’s (SFS ’68) Transition Team and the Department of Health and Human Services.

Feder garnered attention as a national expert on health policy after serving from as staff director for a U.S. bipartisan congressional commission on comprehensive healthcare in the early 1990s. According to a university press release, it is her work on this committee which “set the stage for the health reform debate of the 1990s.”

Feder has also authored five books and approximately 50 articles and chapters for well-respected publications in the fields of medicine and health policy.

“Her expertise on the uninsured, Medicare and Medicaid, and long-term care is regularly drawn upon by members of Congress, Executive officials and the national media,” the GPPI Web site said.

“We are extremely proud of Judy’s appointment to this prestigious organization,” David W. Lightfoot, dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, said. “I am confident that as a member of the Institute she will help direct health policy issues through her continued commitment to improve the nation’s health insurance system.”