By Liz McDonaldHoya Staff Writer

After nearly two decades of service at Georgetown, University Provost Dorothy Brown recently announced that she will step down from the position at the end of this year.

University President John J. DeGioia has appointed a search committee to fill the position. Chaired by Professor Joseph Neale, the committee will include 14 faculty members, three students and a representative from A.T. Kearney, a nationwide search firm.

Assistant Vice President for Communications Julie Green Bataille praised Brown for her contributions to the university.

“She has been instrumental in recruiting and retaining the most vibrant faculty in Georgetown’s history,” Green Bataille said. “We are grateful for her leadership and service to Georgetown University.”

After assuming the position as Interim Provost in 1998, Brown began a three-year term as Provost. She began her career at Georgetown in 1966 as a history professor before serving as the history department chairperson.

GUSA Vice President Brian Walsh (COL ’02) described Brown as the “most accessible administrator on campus.”

“She is great to work with, and she will be missed very much by the university campus as a whole.”

GUSA President Ryan DuBose (COL ’02) said he was “very sad” to see Brown go.

“She’s always been student friendly with the student government and other groups,” DuBose said. “She’s been there for GUSA in the past, and she has always been committed to hearing the voices and input of students.”

DuBose and Walsh appointed two students earlier this year to serve as student representatives on the search committee.

“They came highly recommended,” DuBose said of the appointees.