Charles Nailen/The Hoya The Georgetown women’s team suffered its worst defeat of the season on Wednesday.

Another tough opponent, another embarrassing defeat.

The trend continued in Blacksburg, Va. when Virginia Tech played host to Georgetown’s women’s basketball team, handing their guests a 78-46 loss. The Hoyas failed to assemble a decent offense or defense capable of matching the Hokies, one of the strongest teams in the Big East. Georgetown has struggled to match any of its more daunting opponents, and the team’s sagging conference record stands as a telling indicator.

Cassell Coliseum echoed with the sounds of 2,110 Hokies fans as the team, undefeated at home, hoped to add another win to its streak. The game started out at a leisurely pace, but Virginia Tech held control from the beginning. After three minutes had elapsed, they held a 6-0 lead.

Both teams hit an early offensive drought. Sophomore guard Mary Lisicky put Georgetown on the scoreboard with a layup with 13:57 left in the half, the first basket for either side in three and a half minutes. Lisicky followed it up with a free throw, cutting the Hokies’ lead down to three, but that was the closest the Hoyas would ever come to catching up to their opponent.

Virginia Tech dominated, steadily pulling away from its adversary. Senior forward Chrystal Starling led the charge, while the team’s leading scorer, junior center Ieva Kublina, failed to make much of a mark. Georgetown helped its opponents with lax defending and careless shooting. By the time the clock expired, the Hokies led by 12, 28-16. While the Hoyas had faced worse halftime deficits, the team’s anemic performance rendered second-half comeback hopes futile.

The 4-for-27 shooting record, or 14.8 percent, represented a new low for the team. In contrast, Virginia Tech hit 11 of its 25 field goal attempts, or a respectable 44.0 percent. Most of the action took place inside; the teams combined to sink one three-pointer out of 12 tries. The Hokies’ 11 personal fouls helped keep their opponents afloat; the Hoyas nailed eight free throw shots in 12 attempts, accounting for half their points.

Starling led both teams with 10 points, the only double-digit performance of the half. Junior forward Erin Gibson turned in an all-around performance with six points and five rebounds while Kublina came up with two points and four rebounds. Lisicky and junior forward Rebekkah Brunson both scored five points, while the other three starters each chipped in two. Brunson’s three fouls in the first twenty minutes compromised her ability to play in the second half, and foul trouble would haunt the team for the entire game.

Back on the court, Georgetown created some drama early in the half. In the first minute, the Hoyas launched an attack. Senior forward Zsuzsanna Horvath hit a layup, followed by a jumper from Lisicky cutting the Hokies’ lead down to eight. While a turnover allowed Virginia Tech to score again, Lisicky sank two free throws to diminish the gap. The team looked poised to come back, but Brunson’s fourth foul, with 17:26, marginalized her in the game.

The Hokies kept the lead hovering around 10 points for the next seven minutes, and at two points the Hoyas had pushed it back down to nine points. In the last ten minutes of the half, though, Virginia Tech broke away, burying the Hoyas with shots that always seemed to drop in the basket. All the fouls began to pile up, and with 6:13 left, Horvath left and half a minute later so did Brunson. With exactly four minutes to play, freshman forward Carmen Bruce became the third Hoya to sit on the bench with five fouls.

By that time, Virginia Tech had the victory solidly within its grasp. The Hokies extended the lead past 20 points and Georgetown tried desperately, but unsuccessfully to contain its foe. An eight point run in the final two minutes sent the scoring margin over 30 points. In the end, Virginia Tech decisively vanquished its opponent 78-46, the worst defeat Georgetown has faced this season.

The Hoyas stepped up on offense, bringing their shooting percentage up to 29.2, almost twice as high as it was in the first half. Still, they could hardly touch the Hokies who smoked them with a 60 percent shooting percentage. The home team, however, only launched 20 shots compared with Georgetown’s 24, and only made five more field goals than their guests. Virginia Tech hit 23-of-45 for the game, or 51.1 percent, and hit over twice as many shots as Georgetown, which hit 11 field goals for the night. In an unusual occurrence, the Hoyas failed to sink a single shot from beyond the arc, despite eight attempts. Virginia Tech won the battle off the glass, picking up 37 rebounds to Georgetown’s 30, though all but five came on defense. The Hoyas grabbed a much higher 13 offensive rebounds.

Fouls and free throws dominated much of the second half. The Hoyas combined for 27 while their opponents committed 25. Georgetown hit 24-of-34 shots from the stripe, 16 coming from the second half. Virginia Tech only had 5 points from foul shots in the first half, but went to the line 29 times in the second half and came through on 24. While Brunson had fouled out against Indiana in December, this marks her second time and the first time this season that the team lost three players to personal fouls, all of them starters.

Kublina came alive in the second half, picking up 14 of her game-high 16 points in the last 20 minutes, 10 of them from the foul line. She also pulled down a game-high seven rebounds. Starling finished next with 13 points, followed by Gibson with 11 points and six rebounds. Despite leaving the game early, Brunson still finished on top in scoring with her team with 13 points. Lisicky and Horvath tied for second with nine points.

Georgetown’s record slides to 13-8 for the season and 4-6 in the Big East. The Hoyas have dropped six of their last eight games and dropped to 10th place in the conference. Virginia Tech stands at 17-5 in total and 8-3 in the Big East, the fourth spot. Its home winning streak now stands at 12 games.

The Hoyas try to jump start their season yet again on Sat. at 2 p.m. in McDonough Gymnasium against Syracuse. Georgetown defeated the Orangewomen 82-75 in overtime on Jan. 15th, their last victory before hitting a four-game losing streak. Syracuse has struggled all season, but may still pose a threat. With only six games remaining in the season, and three of them against nationally ranked opponents, the team needs more victories, and a solid win against the Orangewomen could help boost the haggard Hoyas.