PATRIOT LEAGUE Patriot League Briefs

On Saturday, the Bucknell Bison resumed their 2001 campaign with a stirring 23-20 overtime victory over the Columbia Lions at Columbia University’s Lawrence A. Wien Stadium. Coming off a 38-17 loss to Kent State two weeks earlier, the Bison overcame a 10-point deficit in the third quarter to even their record for the season at 1-1.

Junior kicker Chris Lundberg launched a 32-yard field goal in the extra frame, giving the Bison a three-point lead. Energizing the Bison’s offense, Lundberg compiled three field goals for the game. A Lions’ 47-yard field goal attempt at the end of the contest by junior kicker Sam Warren fell short, sealing the win for Bucknell. Warren had successfully completed two field goal attempts earlier in the game, his second completion putting the Lions ahead by a score of 20-10 in the third quarter.

Capping Bucknell’s 90-yard drive in the fourth quarter, senior running back Jabu Powell sent the game into overtime when he scored from the one-yard line. Jabu rushed for 110 yards on 27 carries. Powell is ranked fourth on the Bison’s all-time rushing yards list with a total of 2,470 yards.

Also noteworthy for the Bison, junior quarterback Todd Wenrich connected for 22 completions of 41 attempts for 286 yards and two touchdowns.

The victory also improves the Bison’s all-time record all-time versus the Lions to 10-2-2. The Bison host St. ary’s of California this weekend at Christy-Matthewson emorial Stadium.

-Michael Taormina

Colgate

The Colgate Raiders (1-2 overall, 1-0 Patriot League) extended their winning streak over the Fordham Rams (0-1,1-1) with a 21-9 win in the Patriot League opener for both teams.

Junior quarterback Tom McCune led the Raiders offensively, scorching the Rams with 294 yards passing on 15-of-23 passes and two touchdowns. McCune connected with junior wide receiver Jamal Lamb for 157 yards passing on five passes including a 23-yard touchdown catch.

Colgate’s offense was clicking on all cylinders against the Fordham defense. Along with the passing of McCune, the rushing attack was led by junior running back Nate Thomas and sophomore Jamaal Branch. Thomas punished the Rams with 106 yards on 23 carries, and Branch chipped in for another 104 yards on 16 carries.

This victory was the sixth straight for the Raiders over the Rams. The Raiders fell behind early 7-0 to the Rams but soon tied the game up in the second quarter as McCune connected with Senior wide receiver Joe Parker for a three-yard passing touchdown.

The Raiders put the game out of reach in the second half with a pair of touchdowns that put Colgate up 21-7.

Cornell visits Colgate on Sept. 29, 2001, homecoming weekend for the Raiders.

-Nick Marino

Lafayette

The visiting University of Pennsylvania (0-1) destroyed the Lafayette Leopards (0-2,0-1) 37-0 on Saturday at Fisher Field.

The Quakers completely dominated both ends of the field as they accumulated 471 yards of total offense while holding the Leopards to just 178 total yards. Senior quarterback Gavin Hoffman led the way for Penn throwing for 226 yards on 22-of-40 passes with two touchdown tosses. Penn’s rushing attack was led by senior running back Kris Ryan as he ran for 151 yards on 24 carries.

For Lafayette, the lone bright spot for the team was senior linebacker Matt Bourdon. Bourdon had seven tackles on the day and grabbed one interception in the first quarter.

Penn took an early lead in the first quarter on an 18-yard touchdown pass from Hoffman to sophomore wide receiver Ryan Murray. Hoffman threw for two more touchdowns in the second quarter extending the lead to 20-0. The Quakers finally put the game out of reach in the fourth quarter adding 17 more points and crushing the Leopard hopes for a comeback.

Lafayette will try to recover from this loss on Sept. 29, 2001 when they visit Harvard.

-Nick Marino

Towson

The Towson Tigers (1-2, 1-1) suffered a 17-9 loss to the Holy Cross Crusaders (2-0,2-0) at Minnegan Stadium in Towson.

Towson hung tough during much of the game led by the passing of senior quarterback Val Troiani as he connected on 14-of-23 passes for 255 yards.

The Tigers grabbed an early lead in the second quarter after driving the length of the field to the Crusader one-yard line. However they could not capitalize with a touchdown and were forced to settle for a 20-yard field goal by senior place kicker Ed Kulic to make the score 3-2.

Holy Cross went on to score 15 unanswered points in the second and third quarters on two touchdown passes by junior quarterback Brian Hall. The Crusaders held the Tigers to only two more field goals by Kulic, a 19-yarder in the third and a 26-yarder in the fourth.

Next Saturday Towson travels to Morgan State and will try to get back on the winning side of the scoreboard.

-Nick Marino

Fordham

In the Patriot League opener for both teams, the Colgate Red Raiders defeated the Fordham Rams at Colgate University’s Andy Kerr Stadium Saturday by a score of 21-9. After demolishing the Fairfield Universtiy Stags two weeks ago by a score of 46-14, Fordham looked poised to notch a second win to their record as senior quarterback Mark Carney connected with sophomore tight end Travis Johnson for a 15-yard touchdown. The nine-play, 80-yard drive plus intense first-quarter Ram defense put Fordham ahead by a score of 7-0 after one quarter.

However, after tying the game up in the second quarter, Colgate erupted for 14 points in the third period of play. Junior quarterback Tom McCune provided the Red Raiders’ offensive charge for the afternoon, throwing 15 completions of 23 attempts for 293 yards and two touchdowns.

All the Rams could muster for the remainder of the game was a safety late in the fourth quarter. However, the safety occurred only because Colgate punter Brendan Biddle purposely stepped out the back of the end zone. The veteran efforts of McCune plus a total of 266 Red Raider rushing yards led to an offensive attack totaling 523 yards to the Ram’s 267.

On the bright side for the Rams, sophomore running back Kirwin Watson rushed for 93 yards and Carney threw for 22 completions of 34 attempts for 173 yards and one touchdown.

For the all-time series, the Rams’ record versus the Red Raiders fell to 2-11, losing for the sixth straight time against Colgate. Fordham will lock horns with the Hoyas Sept. 29 for the Rams’ Homecoming at Fordham University’s Coffey Field.

-Michael Taormina

Holy Cross

The Holy Cross Crusaders continued their successful start to the 2001 season Saturday with a 17-9 victory over the Towson Tigers at Towson University’s Minnegan Stadium. Coming off a convincing 33-7 triumph over the Hoyas two weeks ago, the Crusaders faced an early 3-2 deficit when the Tigers’ senior kicker, Ed Kulic, converted a 20-yard field goal attempt.

Holy Cross answered back, taking the lead for good off a touchdown and a two-point conversion, both orchestrated by junior quarterback Brian Hall. Leading the Crusaders’ offensive charge, Hall completed two touchdown passes and threw 15-for-26 for 197 yards. Hall and the Crusaders opened the second half with a touchdown off an 80-yard scoring drive that required only six plays.

The Crusader defense held Towson without a touchdown for the entire game. Towson’s offense produced an impressive 398 yards and entered within the Crusaders’ 20 yard-line five times. However, the Holy Cross defense denied the Tigers on each of those five scoring opportunities.

Senior defensive back Michael Blake racked up 11 tackles as well as an interception on the Crusader one-yard line. Junior linebacker David Dugan contributed to the defensive stand with seven tackles, a fumble recovery and an interception. Dugan’s first quarter tackle of Towson senior tailback Noah Read in the Towson end zone put the Crusaders on the scoreboard for a 2-0 lead.

The victory improves Holy Cross’ all-time record against Towson to 3-2. The Crusaders look to enlarge their first-place lead when they host Yale University next week at Holy Cross’ Fitton Field at noon.

-Michael Taormina

Lehigh

The Mountain Hawks of Lehigh, ranked 10th nationally in Division I-AA, picked up where they left off three weeks ago as they rolled to a 34-10 victory over the Princeton Tigers. With the win, Lehigh improved its record to 2-0 and extended its winning streak at home to 18 games.

On offense, the Mountain Hawks were led by senior quarterback Brant Hall who completed 12 of 17 passes for 213 yards and also ran for 120 yards on 15 carries. On defense, the Hawks were paced by junior defensive back Sam Perryman, who led the team with nine and a half tackles, as well as senior Abdul Byron and sophomore Mike Taggart who each recorded seven tackles on the afternoon.

Lehigh was held scoreless in the first half and trailed by a score of 3-0 at the break, but the offense came out roaring as the second half began. They began the half with a 57-yard scoring drive, and then recovered a Princeton fumble on the ensuing kickoff and scored again two plays later to take a 14-3 lead. The Hawks increased their lead to 24-3 before Princeton finally answered with a 75-yard scoring drive to narrow the deficit to 14 points. However, that was as close as the Tigers would get. Lehigh added 10 more points on a field goal by junior kicker Brian Kelley and an interception returned for a touchdown by sophomore defensive back Lawrence Williams.

The Mountain Hawks return to action Saturday week as they host the Central Connecticut Blue Devils at Goodman Field.

-Tom Kenny