Colgate Junior running back Nate Thomas ran for a career high 222 yards on 22 carries as he led the Colgate Raiders (2-2, 1-0) over the Cornell Big Red (0-2).

Thomas scampered for a 76-yard touchdown on the second play from scrimmage giving Colgate at 7-0 lead within the first minute of the game.

The Big Red scored the next 10 points started by a two-yard touchdown run by senior running back Evan Simmons. Senior place kicker Peter Iverson added a 21-yard field goal in the third quarter to give the Big Red a 10-7 lead.

Colgate soon responded with an 83-yard drive capped off Thomas’ second of three touchdowns on the day, as he ran the ball into the endzone on a 21-yard play.

Junior cornerback Maurice Robertson extended the Colgate lead to 21-10 on a 31-yard interception that he returned for a touchdown.

Thomas added his third touchdown in the fourth quarter on a seven-yard run that completed his magnificent day.

The Big Red rallied late with 14 straight points and pulled within three points with 1:17 left. The Raiders would not relinquish their lead and held off the surging Big Red for a 35-32 win.

Next week Colgate travels to Princeton looking for their third straight victory this season.

– Nick Marino

Towson

The Towson Tigers (2-2, 1-1) won their second game of the season on Saturday defeating the Morgan State Bears (0-4) 20-7 in overtime.

Morgan State scored first in the opening quarter on a 13-yard run by senior fullback Ali Culpepper.

Senior running back Noah Read evened the score in the second quarter with a two-yard touchdown run. Read led the Tigers on the day with 103-yards on 22 carries with two touchdowns.

Both teams were held scoreless in the third quarter.

In the fourth, Culpepper and Read exchanged touchdown runs to keep the score even at 14. Culpepper scored first with an eight-yard run and Read soon answered for the Tigers with another two-yard touchdown run.

With the score tied, the game was sent to overtime. Morgan State struck first with a field goal by freshman kicker Jonathan Voroshilin.

However, the Tigers would not be denied as they answered with two field goals on their next two possesions of the shootout format. Senior kicker Ed Kulic kicked two overtime field goals of 18 and 34 yards in length.

The Tigers travel to Bucknell next week while Morgan State hosts North Carolina A&T.

– Nick Marino

Lafayette

The Lafayette Leopards (0-3 Overall, 0-1 Patriot League) dropped their third game in a row, losing to the Harvard Crimson (2-0) 38-14.

The Crimson jumped on top of the scoreboard early with 14 quick points in the first quarter. Their first score came on a 15-yard pass from senior quarterback Neil Rose to junior wide receiver Carl orris. Rose added another score in the quarter with a 1-yard touchdown run.

Rose was the standout of the day for the Crimson as he threw for 261 yards on 17-of-24 passes. The senior quarterback added another touchdown run in the second quarter to give the Crimson a 24-0 halftime lead.

The Leopards finally scored in the third quarter with a 7-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Marko Glavic to senior wide receiver Stewart Kupfer. It was Lafayette’s first touchdown of the season. Glavic threw for 255 yards on 20-of-37 passes on the afternoon, but also was picked off twice.

Harvard responded two minutes later with another touchdown pass by Rose to Morris. The Leopards and Crimson exchanged rushing touchdowns in the fourth quarter to make the final score 38-14.

Lafayette will look to notch its first win next week at home versus Columbia.

– Nick Marino

Holy Cross

Holy Cross came within one point of beating Yale and remaining undefeated on Saturday, but with four seconds remaining in the game, Bulldog senior Justin Davis kicked a 28-yard field goal to give Yale the 23-22 victory.

The Crusaders fumbled on their first possession of the game, allowing Yale to score after a 32-yard drive. Senior quarterback Peter Lee made an 11-yard pass to senior wide receiver Keith Reams to put the Bulldogs up 7-0.

Holy Cross came back with a 79-yard, 11-play drive to even the score as senior David Thompson caught his second touchdown of the season from junior quarterback Brian Hall.

But another fumble by the Crusaders allowed Yale to score on a quick eight-yard drive. The team of Reams and Lee connected again to put the Bulldogs to go up 14-7.

But Holy Cross answered back with a scoring run. First they evened the score with another touch down pass from Hall. Then their strong defense helped give the Crusaders the lead, as senior linebacker Joel Lenzini tackled Robert Carr in Yale’s endzone for a safety. The Crusaders are first in the Patriot League in rushing defense, allowing an average of 49.7 yards per game. Just before halftime, junior Ryan Rolfert kicked a 40-yard field goal, and then connected again from 23 yards out to put Holy Cross up 22-14.

Yale finally got back on the board with another pass from Lee with 3:33 remaining to play. The Bulldogs went for the two-point conversion and failed, leaving Holy Cross up 22-20. But they got the ball back with 1:36 left on their own 18-yard line, setting the stage for Davis to win the game in dramatic fashion.

The Crusaders face Penn Saturday in Philadelphia.

– Julie Wood

Fordham

Senior quarterback Mark Carney set a school record for touchdown passes in a game as the Rams stampeded the Georgetown Hoyas 48-13. Fordham improved its record to 1-1 in the Patriot League and 2-1 overall.

Four different players were tied with the previous record of four touchdown passes in a game, until Carney completed 22 of 33 passes for 368 yards and his new record of five scores.

Carney’s main target throughout the game was sophomore wide receiver Javarus Dudley, who caught eight balls for 188 yards and three of Carney’s five TDs. The three touchdown receptions tied a school record held by three others.

The Rams wasted no time in welcoming the Hoyas to the Patriot League with six scores on their first six possessions, and ending up with a 38-7 halftime lead. Carney threw 22 passes in the first half for 312 yards and four TDs.

Carney was not as spectacular in the second half as he was intercepted on the Rams’ first two possessions. But the Hoyas could only muster six points on these turnovers, and did not pose an offensive threat for the remainder of the contest.

Other standouts for the Rams included sophomore halfback Kerwin Watson who led all rushers with 80 yards, and freshman Akeem Greenfield, who led all tacklers with 11.

Fordham will look to improve to 3-1 at Brown on Oct. 6. The Bears suffered a tough loss to Rhode Island on Saturday, falling 42-38 after allowing a touchdown with 7 seconds remaining in the game. They are 0-2.

– Rico Headley-Soto

Bucknell

The Bucknell Bison put a stranglehold on the offense of the nation’s top rushing team in routing St. Mary’s (Calif.) 38-6. The Bison’s second straight victory improved their overall record to 2-1.

Bucknell refused to play victim in their home stadium to an offense that had been averaging 426.7 yards per game on the ground. In a strong performance for the Parents’ Weekend crowd, the defense allowed the Gaels only 108 rushing yards on 48 carries, and 223 total yards.

St. Mary’s jumped out to a six point lead as the Bison defense yielded a field goal on each of the Gaels’ first two possessions.

However, Bucknell then scored 38 unanswered points, keyed by the combination rushing attack of senior Jabu Powell and sophomore Jess Brinson. Powell had 66 yards on 21 carries and a first-quarter TD while Brinson added 52 yards on 11 rushes and two fourth-quarter scores.

Junior quarterback Todd Wenrich also scored on a two-yard run in the first period, and junior wide-out Jim Horan had a 10-yard touchdown catch late in the third.

In the end though, Bucknell’s defense was its most valuable performer, as the Bison forced five turnovers and never let St. Mary’s in the end zone, the first time in 23 contests that had been accomplished.

Four of the five turnovers were fumble recoveries, while junior defensive tackle Gary Carruthers caught a St. Mary’s screen pass for his first career interception. Turnovers led to 21 of Bucknell’s 38 points.

Bucknell plays host to the Towson Tigers on Oct. 6.

– Rico Headley-Soto

Lehigh

The Mountain Hawks rolled over Central Connecticut Sept. 29, continuing their unbeaten season. The final score was 58-10, improving Lehigh’s record to 3-0 overall.

The senior tandem of quarterback Brant Hall and wide receiver Brant Snyder struck early and often. The pair hooked up for three touchdowns in the first 12 minutes as Lehigh jumped out to a 21-3 first quarter lead.

Lehigh kept the pressure on in the second quarter as Hall threw yet another TD pass, followed by a 19-yard interception return for a TD by strong safety Abdul Byron. Junior fullback Brad Sersch added a five-yard rushing score to bring the total to 41-3.

The next two Mountain Hawk scores would be record breakers.

First, Hall connected with Snyder one more time to give Snyder four TD grabs for the game, setting a new Patriot League mark. Then, a 48-yard Brian Kelley field goal gave Lehigh 51 points in the first half, a Goodman Stadium record.

Brandon Issacs completed the Mountain Hawks’ offensive explosion in the second half with a four-yard TD run. Lehigh’s offense ended up with 439 yards from scrimmage.

Lehigh collected its 19th straight victory at home and its 16th straight regular season win. The Mountain Hawks will look to go 4-0 at Cornell on Oct. 6.

– Rico Headley-Soto