Despite the sunny weather, Puerto Rico was far from paradise for Georgetown swimming and diving over the winter break as Seton Hall swept both the men’s and women’s squads in a conference meet on Jan. 4.

On the men’s side, the Pirates routed the Hoyas 102-65, dropping Georgetown to 1-4 on the season, while Seton Hall improved to 3-1.

From the beginning, the Hoyas were in trouble. Already hurt by the loss of freshman phenomenon Goran Bistric, who could not participate because of an ankle injury, the team failed to place first in any of the nine events. The team did see consistent performances from freshmen Daniel Robinson and David Ballinger throughout the meet.

Ballinger earned two second-place finishes, in the 100-meter individual medley (1:07.72) and the 50-meter butterfly (28.86). He also swam the third leg of the 200-meter medley relay and anchored the 200m freestyle relay, helping Georgetown to second-place finishes in both races (2:02.22, 1:46.22).

Junior Nick Libertiny placed third in the 100m individual medley, two seconds after his teammate with a time of 1:09.71.

For his part, Robinson swam the third leg of the 200m freestyle relay with Robinson, as well as placing second in the 200m freestyle (2:11.84) and the 50m backstroke (32.32).

Senior Don Ball and his brother, sophomore Chris Ball, teamed with Ballinger and Robinson for the second place finish in the 200m freestyle relay, the final event of the night.

In addition to strong showings in the relays, the Ball brothers swam well throughout the meet. Chris placed second in the 100m freestyle (58.75) and Don finished third in the 50m freestyle (26.54).

Other individual performances of note came from Walden, Badala and senior captain Jon Hayden, who finished third in the 50m backstroke (32.40), the 50m breaststroke (35.52) and the 200m freestyle (2:14.58), respectively.

The team’s performance still fell far short as the Pirates swam faster across the board, easily claiming the victory.

The Hoya women fared better than the men, recording four first-place finishes en route to a 93-74 loss to the Pirate women. Two of the first place finishes from sophomore-standout Caitlin Colling and one each came from senior captains Katie Amaro and Corinne Rhodes.

Colling and Rhodes also led junior Liz Nugent and sophomore Claire Nugent to first place in the 200m medley relay (2:14.08).

Amaro placed first in the third event of the night, the 200m freestyle (2:19.17) and Rhodes’s victory came in the 50m breaststroke (38.17).

In the final women’s event of the night, the 200m freestyle relay, Georgetown’s squad placed second in 2:02.88. Amaro swam leadoff, while junior Julie Dougherty and sophomores Kelcy Poulson and Megan Maragakes finished the race.

The Hoyas next host VMI at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 14 at cCarthy Pool.