To the Editor:

The Palestine Solidarity Movement, also known as the International Solidarity Movement, has scheduled its fifth annual conference to promote divestment from Israel for mid-February at Georgetown University.

The Georgetown community should be aware that members of the PSM have advocated terrorist attacks against Israelis. The ISM’s Adam Shapiro and Huwaida Arraf defended the use of violence against Israelis in a January 2002 article in the Palestine Chronicle: “The Palestinian resistance must take on a variety of characteristics – both nonviolent and violent. But most importantly it must develop a strategy involving both aspects.”

The Jewish Press, a weekly American newspaper, reported in 2003 that “Charlotte Kates, the organizer of the New Jersey Solidarity Movement – an offshoot of the International Solidarity Movement – has refused to condemn homicide bombings and other means of `armed resistance.'”

In the United States, it is a serious felony to harbor terrorists or provide them with any kind of material support, but ISM personnel such as Susan Barclay attempted to prevent Israeli Defense Forces from arresting a member of Islamic Jihad.

One ISM founder, George Rishmawi, openly admitted to the San Francisco Chronicle that ISM recruits foreign activists to participate in Palestinian demonstrations, because “When Palestinians get shot by Israeli soldiers, no one is interested anymore. . But if some of these foreign volunteers get shot or even killed, then the international media will sit up and take notice.”

American college students like Rachel Corrie are among these foreign activists who are seriously injured or even killed in confrontations with the Israeli Defense Forces.

When the Solidarity Movement met at the University of Michigan in 2002, delegates allegedly chanted `Kill the Jews.'”

There is no doubt that the event will be cancelled once President DeGioia, to whom I sent a letter providing further evidence on the ISM’s background, verifies that the PSM/ISM concealed this information from his administration to gain access to Georgetown University facilities.

William Levinson

Webmaster

omdurman.org

Jan. 5, 2006