Out at Home: Hoyas Drop Five in D.C.

GU Struggles to Win One Out of Last Seven Games

By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

The woes of the Georgetown baseball team continued this week after a six-game stretch saw them lose five games, dropping their record to 13-35,1-18 in the Big East.

Four more Big East match-ups led to four more losses for the Hoyas, as Georgetown dropped two games to both West Virginia and No. 29 Notre Dame. Georgetown’s offense remained lackluster as the Hoyas saw their losing streak increase to seven before stealing a thrilling extra-inning game from non-conference foe Catholic. The Hoyas’ fortunes were short lived however, as they lost Thursday’s game 8-2 at home to Mount Saint Mary’s.

In the first game of the Hoyas’ doubleheader with the ountaineers, West Virginia went up early, tallying six runs in the second inning. After loading the bases with no one out, West Virginia capitalized on two singles, a sacrifice fly and a two-run home run by No. 3 batter Kevin Olkowski.

After spotting the Mountaineers the lead, the Hoyas scored one of their own in the bottom of the inning. Junior outfielder Brian Cassese doubled down the left field line with one out, moving senior third baseman Eric Santana to third after he led off the inning with a walk. Junior outfielder Marc Carlini later scored Santana on a ground ball to the shortstop.

Georgetown struck again in the bottom of the fourth and sixth innings. Cassese continued his productive day at the plate with a one-run single to center to score junior Jim Vankoski in the fourth, and plated Santana in the sixth in similar fashion.

After the horrific second inning, Hoya starting pitcher Vankoski silenced the Mountaineer bats until the top of the sixth when West Virginia would score their final run of the contest. All told, over all seven innings Vankoski surrendered seven runs on twelve hits while walking none.

The second game saw the Hoyas jump out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first on a lead-off home run by senior left fielder Josh Corman, his third of the year. Georgetown preserved the one-run lead until the top of the fourth inning when a West Virginia RBI single knotted the match at one run apiece. The ountaineers tallied another run in the top of the sixth. West Virginia batter Nate Reeser reached on an error by third baseman Hoya third baseman Tony Lee, and then advanced on a sac bunt and a wild pitch. He scored on a one-out single to center by West Virginia clean up hitter Tim McCabe.

Tony Pina came on to relieve a solid outing by sophomore Eric Sutton for the Hoyas in the top of the seventh. Pina struggled with his control, walking three of the first four batters he faced before getting the first out of the inning on a sacrifice bunt. With the bases loaded Pina beaned Olkowski to give the Mountaineers their third run of the game. McCabe struck again for West Virginia with a sacrifice fly to put the Mountaineers up 4-1 before Pina settled down and got catcher Josh Cisneros to strike out to end the inning.

The Hoyas’ defense plagued them again in the eighth as they allowed two more unearned runs to cross the plate. Georgetown made a game of it, scoring three runs of their own in the bottom of the inning, but the Hoyas fell short again, failing to produce more than four runs in a game for the fourth straight game.

Despite a strong performance, one earned run on three hits while striking out four over six innings, Sutton took the loss dropping his record to 0-1. Corman who went 2-5 with an RBI and two runs scored, Vankoski who went 3-5, with an RBI and one run scored and Santana who had two hits and drove in two runs in four at bats, provided the majority of the offense for the Hoyas in the second game.

The Hoyas’ offense remained stuck in neutral in their double-header against Notre Dame, losing 5-1 in the first and then 12-1 in the second contest.

Junior Randy Erwin went the distance for the Hoyas, allowing five earned runs on six hits and three walks, but the Notre Dame staff dominated the contest. Georgetown managed just four hits and an unearned run against the Irish staff, never putting the outcome of the game into question.

Irish designated hitter Kevin Meyer broke the game open in the top of the fifth with a three-run blast, his first of the season. Hoya sophomore Mike Green drove in the only run for the Hoyas, as his pinch-hit ground out scored Cassese in the bottom of the seventh.

Irish senior pitcher Scott Cavey went six innings allowing just four hits and no runs to pick up the win. In addition, Cavey never allowed a lead off batter to reach base. He was named Big East Pitcher of the Week for his efforts.

In the second game, Notre Dame demonstrated its complete dominance over Georgetown. After scoring an unearned run in the bottom of the first on a Vankoski groundout to take a 1-0 lead, the Hoyas watched it all slip away. Junior starting pitcher Matt Arizin turned in the latest in a series of unimpressive outings, giving up six runs on six hits and two walks in three innings of work in taking the loss.

Notre Dame jacked five home runs in the contest, including two each by Kris Billameir and freshman phenom Brian Stavisky, giving Stavisky a total of ten home runs on the season. Stavisky was named Big East Player of the Week with an average of .455, three home runs, eight RBI and seven runs scored.

After enduring the four conference losses, Georgetown righted its listing ship with a gritty win over Catholic. Green singled home Cassese in the top of the eleventh to provide the margin of victory and snap a seven-game skid by the Hoyas.

Down 5-2 Georgetown would score a run in the seventh, and then tally two more on Sutton’s single in the eighth. The Hoya staff held Catholic scoreless for the rest of the game to clinch the victory for Georgetown.

Mount Saint Mary’s put a halt to the Hoyas’ winning ways, defeating Georgetown at home on Thursday. The Hoyas took two early leads, 1-0 after the first, and 2-1 after the third, but Mount St. ary’s exploded for four runs off Hoyas’ starting pitcher Patrick Salvitti in the fourth inning to take a 5-2 lead and never looked back. The Mountaineers tacked on another run in the sixth and two more in the eighth to put the game well out of reach.

Carlini and Vankoski provided the majority of the offense for the Hoyas, Carlini with a 3-4 day with a run scored and Vankoski with the Hoyas’ only two RBI. Salvitti, Arizin and Paul Perillo combined on the mound for the Hoyas in the loss.

Georgetown heads back into Big East action this weekend with a three-game series at home against Boston College.