Orangewomen Hand Hoyas 9-0 Loss

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

Much like their male counterparts, the Georgetown women’s tennis team experienced a number of setbacks over spring break. It began the vacation with a 9-0 loss to Big East-rival Syracuse March 5 at the Montclair Country Club in Dumfries, Va.

Georgetown found itself outmatched against Syracuse, and none of the Hoyas were able to capture a victory. Georgetown’s best play came from seniors Sarada Ravindra and Lauren Mendes and sophomore Caroline Marshall.

At No. 2 singles, Ravindra was narrowly defeated 6-4, 6-4 by Syracuse’s Anna Khvalina. At the No. 4 spot, Mendes too was close to victory but lost 6-4, 7-5 to Marina Kabanova. Marshall struggled in the first set at No. 5 singles, fought back in the second set, yet was defeated 6-2, 7-5 by Zuzanna Borucka of Syracuse.

The women headed south for their next match, yet the change in latitude produced few changes on the court, as Georgetown fell 5-0 to Barry University Tuesday, March 7, in Miami Shores, Fla.

Playing in a unique 9-point format in which the first team to secure five points wins, Georgetown found itself down 3-0 after the doubles competition. The twin tandem of seniors Lucky and Sarada Ravindra battled hard but lost 8-6 to Barry’sVictoria Courmes and Valeria Papandrea at the No. 1 position.

Following the doubles play, Barry quickly closed out the match as it rattled off two singles victories. Lucky Ravindra was defeated 6-0, 6-1 by Courmes at No. 1 singles, while Lauren Mendes was dispatched 6-1, 6-4 at the No. 4 spot by Bojara iludinovic.

The following day, Georgetown traveled to Boca Raton, Fla., to face Davidson College. In a well-played match, Georgetown again came out on the short end of the stick, losing 6-3. In fact, the Hoyas took a 3-0 lead early on with singles victories at the No. 1, No. 5 and No. 6 positions.

Lucky Ravindra defeated Davidson’s Forbes Thompson 7-5, 6-2 at No. 1 singles, Georgetown’s Marshall was victorious 6-3, 6-4 over Anna Holland at the No. 5 spot, and Hoya freshman Sarah White won 6-4, 6-2 over Katie Brooks at the No. 6 position. However, the Hoyas could not convert the team victory, as the women proceeded to drop all six of the remaining points in closely contested matches.

The women rebounded from the break with an important 7-2 victory over Big East-rival St. John’s last Saturday in New York. Playing with renewed energy, the Hoyas struck early and often.

Georgetown convincingly racked up five singles victories. Lucky Ravindra defeated St. John’s Erin Jackson 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 1 spot, while twin sister Sarada Ravindra added a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Rohika Hardas at the No. 2 position. Meanwhile, at No. 3, No. 5 and No. 6 singles respectively, Georgetown’s Marshall was a 6-2, 6-7 (7-5), 7-6 (7-4) winner, Hoya freshman Kim Wattrick blanked her opponent 6-0, 6-0, and senior Ayana Brooks was a 6-1, 6-1 victor.

Georgetown added two doubles victories in their impressive win. The team of Lucky Ravindra and Caroline Marshall won 8-4 over St. John’s Hardas and Corina Cetateneau at the No. 1 spot, and the duo of Sarada Ravindra and Sarah White came out on top 8-3 at the No. 3 slot.

The Hoyas had little time to celebrate their victory, however, as Seton Hall University shut them out 9-0 Sunday in South Orange, N. J. Again, Georgetown played with determination, but was unable to translate its efforts into victories.

Lucky Ravindra pushed her No. 1 singles match into a third set but fell 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 to Seton Hall’s Pille Arike. Likewise, Georgetown’s White extended her match to a third set at No. 4 singles but was unable to complete the comeback, falling 6-3, 4-6, 6-2. The best doubles performance came from the team of Lucky Ravindra and Caroline Marshall at the No. 1 spot. However, they were narrowly defeated 8-6 by Seton Hall’s Kyli Lassalle and Laura cCracken.

With four losses and one win over the past two weeks, the women’s record stands at 4-7 on the year. This weekend, the women will host James Madison on Friday at 3:00 p.m. and Hampton Saturday at 11:00 a.m. Both matches will be played at the McDonough Courts.