One Year On, Boathouse Thrives

Since the contentious battle over who would operate Georgetown’s waterfront boathouse last spring, Key Bridge Boathouse, has continued its success while maintaining its long-standing relationship with Georgetown Outdoor Education.

In December 2012, the National Park Service, which owns the land on which the boathouse operates, notified Jack’s Boathouse operators Frank Baxter and Paul Simkin that the boathouse’s lease, which the Baxter family had held since 1945, would have to compete with other businesses to bid for the right to operate on the land on a concession basis.

In March 2013, the NPS officially awarded a two-year contract to operate on the property to B&G Outdoor Recreation, which operates six boating based ventures in the Boston area.

According to Stephen Benkert, the program coordinator at Key Bridge Boathouse, the boathouse has maintained the friendly atmosphere of Jack’s Boathouse but with more efficient business procedures.

“People were concerned because Jack’s had been here for so long,” Benkert said. “We still keep that funky vibe that has been down here forever but operation is running more smoothly with the procedures we’ve put in place to make use of the site effectively.”

The new management has implemented new operations systems, including the ability to accept credit and debit cards, installation of a new check in/out system, as well as new safety procedures.

Despite the procedural changes that have been implemented under the new management, Key Bridge Boathouse has maintained its partnership with Georgetown Outdoor Education, allowing the group to store its kayaks and paddle boards at the boathouse.

“So far it’s been a wonderful relationship. I know that Outdoor Ed has had a long-standing relationship with Jack’s … and Key Bridge from the get-go has been willing to honor that same relationship that we had, so that was exciting news when I first showed up,” Outdoor Education Director Kris Nessler said.

In an effort to keep students engaged with the boathouse, the Key Bridge Boathouse has also added new programming, such as stand-up paddleboard yoga classes.

“This is the latest trend and we are quadrupling our programming,” Benkert said.

Nessler said that he hopes to promote a working relationship with the Outdoor Education staff to encourage more interaction between the university and the Key Bridge Boathouse.

“We really think there are some opportunities for some good crossover training, and then clearly Outdoor Ed wants to be able to program, as the weather gets nicer, maybe four or five trips before the end of the semester,” Nessler said.

Benkert said that the Key Bridge Boathouse has been able to maintain a close working relationship with the NPS, who owns the land on which the boathouse operates.

“We work closely with them and definitely are always aiming to make right by them,” Benkert said. “It is their land and they are letting us run a concession here so everything goes through the Park Service.”

According to NPS Concessions Management Specialist Walter McDowney, the Key Bridge Boathouse has successfully upheld the requirements of the NPS’ contract, which is required for each of its concessions.

“As far as following the contract is concerned, they’re doing a good job,” McDowney said.

Future negotiations concerning B&G Outdoor Recreation contract renewal are ongoing.

“We definitely hope to extend for sure,” Benkert said.