One Year Later, Still Work to Be Done

To the Reader:

A year ago, The Hoya failed in its mission of providing the Georgetown community with reliable, responsible journalism. This failure came in the form of the annual April Fools’ humor issue. A far cry from responsible journalism, the issue was deemed by many to be offensive and hurtful, igniting criticism of The Hoya and of the Georgetown community as a whole.

While significant steps have been taken by The Hoya’s leadership and by the broader university community to prioritize diversity over the past year, it is still a priority that must constantly be stressed and valued. The role of The Hoya as the university’s newspaper of record demands that the newspaper – and the organization that produces it – reflect this diversity in its staff and coverage.

This commitment to a campus-wide campaign for tolerance and understanding influenced the decision not to publish an April Fools’ edition this year. But this decision was first and foremost grounded in a re-evaluation and renewed obligation to the principles of this newspaper. In our mission to provide journalism of the highest standards of accuracy, fairness and professionalism, there is no place for satire – especially at the expense of members of the community we serve.

The decision to eliminate the April Fools’ issue is one of many changes, both institutional and editorial, that The Hoya has made over the past year. I hope that in this way, The Hoya will continue to earn the loyalty of its readership. There is still work to be done, and we cannot keep improving without the input of our readers. I encourage all members of the Georgetown community to write a letter, submit a viewpoint or simply e-mail me at editorthehoya.com and let us know how we’re doing. Our door is always open, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Marissa Amendolia (COL ’11)

Editor in Chief

April. 9, 2010

*To send a letter to the editor on a recent campus issue or Hoya story or a viewpoint on any topic, contact opinionthehoya.com. Letters should not exceed 300 words, and viewpoints should be between 600 to 800 words.*”