Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Junior Trevor Goodrich has led the Hoyas in assists for the past two seasons, netting five as a freshman and seven as a sophomore.

Georgetown’s men’s soccer team may have had a short preseason, but they made the most of it. The Hoyas vanquished local rival George Washington, 3-0, on a sunny, breezy Saturday on North Kehoe Field last weekend to unofficially kick off their season.

“I was quite pleased for a first time out,” head coach Keith Tabatznik said. “I thought our focus was very good.”

The scrimmage, the only one before the regular season, which begins today, brought together a motley crew of Georgetown fans, George Washington supporters and curious freshmen and their families. While the Blue and Gray struggled occasionally and the visiting team had its fair share of opportunities, Georgetown emerged with a solid victory.

In the first half, both teams toiled to gain the upper hand on the field, but most of the period passed without much stirring action around the goals. Sophomore defenseman Jeff Curtin and senior goalkeeper Tim Hogan helped ensure that each attempt by the Colonials never ended up in the goal’s netting.

The breakthrough came after 20 minutes had elapsed in the first half when sophomore forward Kemmons Feldman surged through a melee in order to unleash a straight shot into the back of the net. The Hoyas rode their 1-0 advantage into halftime.

When the teams came back, Georgetown failed to make much of an impression for most of the second half. George Washington went deep into enemy territory trying to even the score. Fortunately for the Hoyas, the Colonials had a knack for imploding at the last second, or just some very bad luck. The boys from Foggy Bottom missed a number of close attempts in front of the goal, including one shot that sailed over an open goal and another which bounced off the bottom of the top post and ricocheted back into the box.

“It’s an age old adage that you make your own luck. The boys worked very hard out there and made some great plays, but it’s a wonder sometimes how GW didn’t score,” Tabatznik said.

The Hoyas sprang back to life in the final minutes of the game, guaranteeing a solid win in their first outing. Freshman forward Ricky Schramm notched his first collegiate goal in the 39th minute with a floater that glided over the goalkeeper’s head and ambled into the goal before any defender could reach it. Sophomore middle Danny McNally came up with the last goal with 1:15 left with a shot that streaked past the defenders in the crease and sank into the right side of the goal.

Avenging last year’s 3-1 loss to the Colonials, the Hoyas have demonstrated a more mature, collected look on the field. They also showed a knack for last second goals, a skill that helped put them over the top in several tight games against Notre Dame last year.

“It was a closer game than 3-0, but having said that, scoring goals late in games wins games,” Tabatznik said. “If we get in the habit of scoring goals in the last ten minutes of games, we will win a lot of games.”

Georgetown will see if it can keep the magic alive when the regular season begins today with the D.C. Cup. The team takes on Howard University today at 2:30 p.m. on North Kehoe Field, the first of two matchups this weekend for the participating teams. Howard is coming off a disappointing season in which the team finished 7-9 in total and only 2-4 in their conference, the Atlantic Soccer Conference. The team returns with nine starters, including leading goal scorer junior midfielder Dave Mitchell.

Still, the Hoyas appear psyched to revenge themselves after losing both games in last year’s Cup and have more experience to build on. American University, the squad’s opponent on Sunday at 2:30 here on campus, looks formidable once again. The Eagles were selected to finish on top in the Patriot League for the third consecutive year, and last year downed the Hoyas 4-0 and finished up their season in the second round of the NCAA tournament. American, however, will field a young team as eight of its starters from last year have graduated, and will face a lack of experience on the field similar to the one Georgetown has faced in the past two years.

“We’re still a young team, but we’re much more mature than we were a year ago. This year, we have a pretty good balance this year with over half the team being upperclassmen,” Tabatznik said.

When the team steps onto the fresh Bermuda grass of North Kehoe Field to inaugurate their season, Tabatznik predicts that it will be the cohesion and solidarity that will lift this team to positive results this weekend.

“It’s a generic answer, but the strength of our team is in the number and in everyone working together. This team is going to be incredibly full of cliches on teamwork.”