Image Contributor
Sophomore quarterback Keerome Lawrence scored the Hoyas’ only touchdown in a 24-6 loss to Lafayette.

In the Hoyas’ sole night game of the season, Lafayette turned the lights out on the Hoya offense and capitalized on significant Georgetown miscues to tally a 24-6 victory in Easton, Pa.

In the Patriot League opener for both teams, the Blue and Gray (1-1, 0-1) failed to gather the momentum built from last week’s victory over Howard and bring it to the team’s first matchup outside of the District. Similar to last week’s first drive, Lafayette marched 71 yards down the field on the game’s first series and scored, but unfortunately, the Hoyas were not able to recover in front of 10,000-strong at Fisher Stadium.

“I’d say the game was very similar to last week, and defensively I thought we played well enough to win,” Head Coach Kevin Kelly said.

The defense registered four sacks on the day, one and a half of which came from sophomore linebacker Nick Parrish, who also had a game-high 12 tackles.

“The difference is,” Kelly added, “Lafayette is a better football program than Howard.”

Trailing 7-0 in the second quarter, the Hoya defense forced a three-and-out and took over on their own 23-yard line. Georgetown orchestrated its first offensive progress of the night moving the ball down the field under the quarterback tandem of freshman James Brady and sophomore Keerome Lawrence. Brady completed four passes for 36 yards, and Lawrence had three carries for 26 yards, the biggest of which was a 20-yard run on a third-and-seven that advanced the ball to the Lafayette 12-yard line.

However, when the drive stalled, freshman Casey Dobyns’ 19-yard field goal attempt was blocked, and the score remained 7-0. But a resilient effort from the Hoya defense forced another three-and-out, and Georgetown had another opportunity to seize momentum before the half. On a second-and-seven in Lafayette territory, an errant pass from Brady was intercepted and returned to the Hoya 30-yard line. This time, Lafayette took advantage and tacked on a 23-yard field goal to take a 10-0 lead into halftime.

“We score then, we go into halftime 7-7, and that’s a whole new ball game. The defense held them to a field goal, but that was a pretty big swing right there,” Kelly said.

The Hoya offense, whose primary rushers were Lawrence, 13 carries for 47 yards, and Brady, five rushes for eight yards, did not have any of their halfbacks tally more than three carries. In fact, three different running backs each carried the ball only one time. The Leopards held the ball for 10 minutes more than Georgetown on the night and pounded the ball on the ground with 51 rush attempts contributing to 198 net rushing yards. The Blue and Gray totaled only a net of 70 in comparison.

Lafayette added another touchdown late in the third quarter on a one-yard run from junior Tyrrell Coon, which capped a nine-play, 66-yard drive and gave the Leopards a 17-0 cushion. In the fourth quarter, the Hoyas finally broke through, capitalizing on a nine-play 92-yard drive with a two-yard scamper from Lawrence. A 53-yard bomb from Brady to senior tight end Collin Meador on the opening play of the drive finally got some juices flowing for the Georgetown offense.

Brady, who went 12-of-28 for 141 yards, was named the patriot League rookie of the week yesterday.

But, Dobyns missed the extra point after the touchdown, and that was the end of Georgetown’s offense for the day. The Leopards added a final touchdown with 52 seconds left on a second running score from junior quarterback Rob Curley. Georgetown closes its three-game opening road trip with a visit to Yale this weekend.

“Yale is an excellent football team, and it’s their opener. Our guys are really excited to play in the Yale Bowl,” Kelly said.

Last season, the Hoyas played the Bulldogs close in a 28-14 home loss.

Kickoff is set for 12:30 p.m. from New Haven, Conn.