On Campus…In Brief

Georgetown Alum To Receive Award

For her work with the blind and dyslexic, elissa Allman (COL ’99) will receive the Mary P. Oenslager Scholastic Achievement Award on March 28.

The award will be presented by Danny Glover at the Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic’s National Achievement Awards gala in New York.

Allman has been a member of RFB&D since 1988. She is currently a graduate student at Ohio State University and one of three winners of the national award, which carries a $6,000 cash payment. The award is presented to blind or visually impaired college seniors with superior scholarship, leadership, enterprise and service to others.

She is currently studying for a master’s degree in Slavic languages and working in the university’s department of Slavic languages. She said that she plans to become a professor of Slavic or Russian languages and literatures, or to work as an international advocate for people with disabilities.

RFB&D is the nation’s educational library for students with visual disabilities. It is the only nonprofit organization that provides academic textbooks on audiotape and computer disk to students of all ages who cannot read effectively because of a disability. The organization has over 75,000 members.

— Tim Haggerty

Search Committee Results Delayed

The committee charged with finding a replacement for departing Dean of Students James A. Donahue will take one more month than previously estimated to compile their list of three recommendations. Although the committee has no set deadline, Marcia orris, search committee chairperson and chair of the department of Slavic languages, estimated in January the committee would have its three recommendations by the end of March.

According to an e-mail from Morris, it is anticipated that the committee will have narrowed its list by the second half of April. orris said the committee has not been able to finish its work as quickly as previously estimated due to spring break here at Georgetown and at other institutions, as well as the schedules of candidates.

Univerisity President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., will choose the next vice president of student affairs from the three recommendations put forth by the committee.

— Andreas Andrea