On Campus…In Brief

Fecal Matter Found in Elevator

On Monday, Village C West president Heath Carter (COL ’03) and Hall Director Donna Freitas notified dorm residents that before spring vacation someone had defecated in the VCW Y-wing elevator.

According to Carter, the letter also let residents know that they will be expected to sign a letter apologizing to the dorm housekeeping staff.

Carter explained that the mess had been made even worse as people had spread it around the floor of the elevator.

The decision to notify the dorm of the incident and write a formal apology was made by Carter, Freitas and the VCW resident assistants.

B-ball Game in Sellinger Lounge

Tonight at 9 p.m. chips, dip, drinks and viewing of the Georgetown NIT game on a projector screen will be provided courtesy of the Georgetown Program Board, Marriott, Hoya Blue and InterHall in Sellinger Lounge.

Marriott will be donating the chips, dip, food and drinks for the evening, while InterHall has arranged for the projection screen.

Musical Students to Get Credit

During the next academic year, the Office of Performing Arts and the department of art, music and theatre will be offering Georgetown College students the opportunity to take orchestra, concert choir, band and jazz band for one semester hour pass/fail credit each.

The ensembles will continue to run as they do now, but students will have the option of receiving credit. Those not taking the course for credit are still encouraged to participate.

Up to four of these units can be used to count towards the 120 semester hour graduation requirement for the College.

Additionally, the College will allow students who have taken the maximum four hours to petition for those hours to be counted together as one course towards the College requirement of 38 to 40 semester courses.

A meeting to discuss the new option will be held on Thursday at 5:15 p.m. in McNeir Auditorium.

Card Players Earn Funds for GU

On Monday, March 13, three Georgetown University card-playing teams won $65,000 for the university at the Bicycle Cards National Championships at Disneyworld in Florida.

Holden Penley (MSB ’02) and Andy Schlichter (COL ’02) won $25,000 with their first-place finish in the Euchre competition. John Agozzino (SFS ’00) and Alex Levine (COL ’02) also placed first playing Spades and took home $25,000, while Syed Ansar (SFS ’03) won second place and $15,000 in the Hearts competition.

The Georgetown students competed against teams from universities in Delaware, Michigan, Wisconsin, Kentucky and New York.

Checks were presented to each of the winners on Tuesday night, and according to Schlichter, a presentation ceremony will occur on campus sometime later this term.

Georgetown performed the best out of all the universities with the two first-place wins and second-place finish.

“It was a great experience, and we all felt lucky to win,” Schlichter said.

Investigation of Death Continues

Investigation continues into the death of Georgetown junior David Shick, whose Feb. 22 death has been ruled a homicide by the D.C. Medical Examiner.

Shick’s death came after four days in the Georgetown University hospital. An early morning incident in the Lauinger Library parking lot left Shick with the head injuries that caused his death, according to the Medical Examiner’s office.

No arrests have been in the case, which is currently under grand jury investigation. The police continue talking to those present at the Friday morning incident, according to Sgt. Michael Farish of the Second District Metropolitan Police. Farish refused to comment further, saying that he could face jail time for discussing a case that is currently in front of the grand jury.

The medical examiner’s March 3 ruling of homicide means that the police continue their investigation, according to Sgt. Joe Gentile, PD spokesman.

The medical examiner’s office did not return three phone calls over the last week.

In an interview with The Washington Post, chief Medical Examiner Jonathan Arden said that the cause of death was “blunt impact head trauma with contusions of the brain.” He did not say whether the curb, a punch or a combination of the two delivered the fatal blow.

Dean of Students James A. Donahue said that the university is waiting for the grand jury to conclude its investigation, though he did not know when the process would be complete.