Rev. William L. George, S.J., the university’s assistant to the president for federal relations since 1975, accepted the presidency of Georgetown Preparatory School in Bethesda, Md., in early April.

While at Georgetown, he designed and implemented a strategic plan to secure effective communication between the Georgetown campuses and the federal government.

“Bishop John Carroll established Georgetown Prep as the model for Catholic education in the United States, founded on the ideals of St. Ignatius Loyola. Prep’s challenge is to keep those Ignatian ideals and be the model Jesuit school in the new millennium – the age of information technology,” said George.

“We will have many challenges, but the enthusiasm expressed to me by alumni, faculty, staff and board members of Prep give me a sense of community and confidence that the future is ours, with the grace of God. Ad majoriem de gloriam,” he said.

Georgetown Prep, founded in 1789, is an independent Jesuit boys school for grades nine through 12 with 437 students, approximately 100 of whom are boarders.

— Vince Mareino

Hungarian Ambassador Speaks at GU

Beginning at 5 p.m. on Monday, April 17, in Copley Formal Lounge, Georgetown University played host to a conference entitled, “From Embracing Christianity to Euro-Atlantic Integration: The First Hungarian Millennium.” The conference is a part of the Embassy of Hungary’s “Hungarian Millennium” celebrations.

University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., prefaced the conference with an overview of Hungary’s history and outlined the connections the university has with the country.

The conference was moderated by H.E. Géza Jeszenszky, ambassador of Hungary to the U.S., and featured a panel of professors who specialize in East European studies.

Georgetown Professor Gábor Agostan, Columbia University Professor Istuán Deák, Chestnut Hill College Professor John Lukacs and Central European University Professor László Veszprémy were featured speakers. Panelists Mihály Szegedy-Maszák, an Indiana University professor, and Georgetown professors Harley D. Balzer, Andrzei Kaminski and Charles King joined them.

The group traced Hungarian history throughout the course of the past millennium, focusing on entry and integration of the Hungarian kingdom into the fabric of Europe, the repercussions of centuries of defensive wars against the Ottomans, struggles for reform and independence leading up to 1848-1849 and the tragedies of the 20th century.

– Tracy Zupancis

Med Student Named Mr. Georgetown

Gaston Hall was the elegant setting for the sweaty, oily, vein-popping charity event that was the Mr. and Ms. Georgetown Bodybuilding Competition Monday night.

There were three weight classes for the men and one class for the two women contestants, and the winners from each of the men’s weight classes competed for the prize of best overall.

The competition consisted of an initial series of poses, followed by individual musical routines and a final “posedown.”

Although attendance was sparse, the audience was extremely spirited and supportive. Medical students dominated the group, while undergraduates rivaled them in rowdiness.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” Chris Lozano (MED ’02) said. Lozano said he had come to support Rich Schreckengaust (MED ’02), who won first place in the heavyweight class as well as best overall.

The contest was a first for Georgetown, although planner Oman Dawood (MED ’02) said he hopes to make it an annual tradition. Dawood said his reasons for holding the event included fitness, campus unity and fun. The proceeds, around $700 according to Dawood, will go to the Special Olympics.

– Sloane Starke

Lecturer Addresses Resurrection

Dr. Mark Dever, Ph.D., addressed an overflowing classroom of students on Monday night on the “Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus.” Dever travels around the country lecturing to students about the historical evidence for the resurrection, teaching that “Jesus makes sense not in spite of the resurrection but because if it.”

“The resurrection of Christ is absolutely central to Christianity,” Dever said. “I am wasting my life as a Christian preacher if this is really not true.” Dever claims that there are two facts: “. that Jesus was crucified and that a few days later, his disciples were going around saying that he was alive.”

Student reactions were generally positive, and several students were able to directly address Dever in a question-and-answer session that followed the talk.

“Dever was an extraordinary speaker,” said Zach Biderman (MSB ’03). “It was a very interesting and educational speech.”

– Beth Hanson