Students filled Reiss 103 for the first ever Freshman Talent Show, sponsored by InterHall. The show was produced by Heath Carter (COL’03), president of Village C West, Glibert Cruz (COL’03), president of Village C East and Jessica Melton (COL ’03), president of Harbin Hall.

Carter, also president-elect of InterHall said, “We have exceeded all of our expectations. We brought about a fourth of the freshman class to this event, which shows that a lot more people are interested in other things apart from going out and drinking on Thursday nights. There is a lot of talent in our freshman class. It was a community building event.”

Thirteen student acts were competing for a prize of about $600, which was won by James Bruffee (COL ’03), Chris Staten (MSB’03), Dan Fabiano (COL ’03, Eddy Chaglassian (COL’03) and LeQuan Coats (COL ’03), who sang the original a capella version of “Don’t Worry, Be Happy.”

“I think we are going to split it up five ways and spend it on what are separate interests are. I was thinking about using the money either to buy something for my girlfriend or use it as a gift certificate to a guitar shop or a music shop,” Staten said.

Apart from the numerous musical acts, other segments included juggling, which featured dull knives, dancing and stand-up comedy. – Andreas Andrea

New Senior Class Committee

The Senior Class Committee board has been announced for the class of 2001. In the next several weeks, the new board will be conducting committee and senior week worker interviews.

Chair

Joe Gerics Parents Weekend

Pat Fisher

Auction

Andy Savarese Community Service Lizzy Whitehorn Treasurer Cecily Garret Special Events Lauren Tabak Marketing Ben Martin Secretary Will Cosmas

Black Consciousness Conference

The Georgetown chapter of the NAACP is holding the third annual Black Consciousness Conference over the weeekend. The three-day series of workshops, speakers and cultural celebrations will begin on Friday and is free for Georgetown students. The keynote speaker will be Michale Eric Dyson, an ordained Baptist minister and professor at DePaul University. He will speek in the ICC Galleria on Saturday at 5 p.m. Aaron McGruder, the creator of the Boondocks comic strip, will speak at 1:30 p.m. in the ICC Auditorium.