Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Sophomore Jessica Quinn scored the first Hoya goal in each of this weekend’s matches.

For the second consecutive weekend, Georgetown field hockey had two games on its schedule against very solid programs. After last weekend’s home split with Longwood and St. Joseph’s, this weekend the Hoyas traveled to Worcester, Mass. for their first road games of the season.

Unfortunately, Cornell escaped with a 2-1 victory in Saturday’s contest, while on Sunday the Hoyas fell to Holy Cross, 6-2. After the two defeats, Georgetown stands at 1-3.

The first game, pitting Georgetown against the Big Red on a neutral field, was a defensive battle. But in looking at the final score, it becomes clear that Cornell’s 9-3 edge in corners and 12-5 advantage in shots was the key to their victory.

The Hoyas’ efforts were further hindered when the Big Red opened the scoring just under four minutes into the game with a goal from junior attacker Sara Weiner, assisted by another junior attacker, Danielle Dunn. The remainder of the first half was nearly scoreless, until Georgetown sophomore forward Jessica Quinn tallied her team-leading fifth goal of the year with only 11 seconds left on the clock.

“Cornell is a very good team and very organized,” head coach Laurie Carroll said. “We were tied at the half, and we actually outplayed them in the second half.”

Despite strong play on the part of the Hoyas, Cornell’s defense proved too strong, and Jamie Woolsey’s goal halfway through the second stanza gave her team the win.

Carroll said her team’s inability to protect the ball while in control contributed to the Hoyas’ deficiencies on shots and corners.

“We were giving it away and giving Cornell breakaways and good chances,” she said.

Freshman goalkeeper Abby Winer did stop 10 shots, but even her efforts were not enough to provide the difference.

Notwithstanding the Saturday defeat, Georgetown sought to even its record on Sunday when they took on Holy Cross at the Crusaders’ home field. The Hoyas came out surprisingly strong.

“A totally different team showed up,” Carroll said. “In fact, we had never played as well as we did for the first 15 minutes of that game. We scored early and our defensive pressure was good.”

But after Quinn’s goal at 27:31, which put Holy Cross in its first deficit of the season, the Crusaders responded with two goals in less than a minute and Georgetown never quite recovered.

“They got a penalty stroke and it went in,” Carroll said. “We were unlucky. After that, our demeanor changed. It was like Holy Cross was out there trying to win the game and Georgetown was just trying not to lose.”

The Crusaders scored once more with 11 minutes left in the first period, making the score 3-1. Quinn scored again to bring her team within one, but with six minutes on the clock, Holy Cross widened the lead to go into the break up, 4-2.

After halftime, “we gave up,” Carroll said of her team, which surrendered two more goals halfway through the second half. She also said that her team had not run out of energy; it was simply not playing to its potential.

“I believe we have a good team here. But my team doesn’t believe that we’re a good team,” Carroll said, summing up the weekend’s disappointments. Nonetheless, she quickly added that the squad is eager to move on. “There are changes to be made. We’ve talked with the captains, and we’ve got the attitude that we played horribly on Sunday, but we can change that.”

Wednesday, Georgetown will attempt to duplicate last season’s 5-2 triumph when they travel to Towson for their third-straight road match. Game time is 4 p.m.