O’Brien Named VP for Mission and Ministry

Fr. Kevin O’Brien, S.J. (COL ’88) has been selected as the next vice president for mission and ministry, according to a broadcast email sent Thursday. He will fill the position left vacant after Fr. Philip Boroughs, S.J., resigned to become president of Holy Cross.

O’Brien, who has served as executive director of Campus Ministry since 2008, will assume his new role immediately and oversee the continued planning and implementation of a variety of seminars, retreats and programs. The office also works with initiatives to train lay people in the Jesuit tradition, according to the email from University President John J. DeGioia.

“I am deeply grateful that he has agreed to take on this important new role,” DeGioia wrote.

As executive director of Campus Ministry, O’Brien managed a number of chaplaincies for the variety faith traditions in the community. He also serves as the Jesuit-in-residence in Copley Hall and teaches in the department of theology.

O’Brien will be the second person to head the office, which serves to both further the Jesuit and Catholic tradition of Georgetown as well as promote interreligious dialogue and diversity on campus, since it was created in 2003.

Before returning to the Hilltop, O’Brien served as associate pastor at Holy Trinity Church. He has also taught philosophy and ethics at Saint Joseph’s University and assisted in the Office of University Mission and Ministry at Fordham University.

He holds a J.D. from the University of Florida, an M.A. in Philosophy from Fordham University, and a Masters of Divinity and a Licentiate in Sacred Theology from the Weston Jesuit School of Theology.