OBITUARY Former GU Football Player Dies in Attacks

Georgetown Georgetown Sports Information Joe Eacobacci (COL ’96) on the field during the 1994 football season.

The Georgetown community suffered yet another loss related to the Sept. 11 attacks with the death of former football standout Joe Eacobacci (COL ’96). Eacobacci was working as an energy trader for the investment firm Cantor Fitzgerald on the 105th floor of the north tower of the World Trade Center when the building was hit.

According to Georgetown Head Coach Bob Benson, who coached Eacobacci from 1993 to 1995, neither the athletic accolades nor the statistics are what define the legacy of Joe Eacobacci.

“He had more friends than anybody, and that was what made him a beautiful person,” Benson said. “He would light up a room, he really could make people smile and bring enjoyment and pleasure to a room.”

In response to the tragedy, Benson and the 2001 football team have dedicated the remainder of their season to the memory of Eacobacci. The entire football team will wear Joe’s number, 35, along with the American flag on the backs of their helmets.

After attending Holy Cross High School in his native Queens and Father Lopez High School in Florida when the family moved, Eacobacci played strong safety, defensive back and outside linebacker during his four-year career with the Hoyas and served as team captain during his senior year in 1995. That year, he was awarded the Jeremiah Minihan Coaches’ Award for making outstanding contributions to the team. Eacabocci finished his Georgetown career with 183 tackles, the 10th-highest total of any Georgetown player since 1981.

“When you coach 100 guys a year – about 25 to 30 kids in every class – there’s a lot of different personalities,” Benson said. “Joe was loved by everybody: coaches, teammates, teachers, administrators – everybody loved Joe.”

Chris Johnston (COL ’96), a four-year teammate of Eacobacci, echoed Benson’s sentiments.

“He was almost compassionate without knowledge,” Johnston said. “He saw the good in everyone.”

“It’s hard to try to put into words the respect we have for him and for his contributions not just as a football player, but as a student-athlete . just as a person,” Benson said.

According to his older brother, Tom Eacobacci (MSB ’93), who also played for the Hoyas from 1990 to 1993, over 3,000 people attended his funeral held Monday at St. Andrews in New York City.

“The thing about my brother is that he was a very likable person,” Tom said. “He was liked by his peers, his coaches, people his junior, his friends’ parents.”

In addition to his brother, Eacobacci is survived by his younger sister, currently a sophomore at the University of Florida, both parents and his girlfriend of several years, Denise Mauro. According to Tom, Joe was to buy an engagement ring that weekend.

“He was happiest when he was with the people he loved . his friends and family,” Tom said.

The Eacobacci family along with the university is in the process of creating a scholarship in Joe’s name, most likely for prospective football players. Both Tom and Joe received financial aid from Georgetown, and according to Tom, this is a good way for him and his brother to give something back.

– Hoya Staff Writer Tim Sullivan contributed to this report.