TO THE EDITOR:

Regarding the viewpoint on the presidential race by Dustin Walker and Carlos Hernandez (“Actually, Democrats the Underqualified Ones,” THE HOYA, Nov. 6, 2007, A3), I find it very ironic that the authors say Obama’s “potent lack of experience on foreign policy issues is troublesome.” Obama may not have the foreign policy experience of, say, Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.), but he has been in the U.S. Senate for nearly three years and has served on the prestigious Senate Foreign Relations Committee throughout his tenure.

The authors conveniently fail to mention that two of the four leading Republican candidates, whom they praise so ardently, have absolutely no experience whatsoever in the conduct of U.S. foreign policy. Mitt Romney’s only elected office is his term as governor of Massachusetts, meaning he has never dealt with significant foreign policy issues. Rudolph Giuliani, whose political experience has been solely confined to the Justice Department and the mayoralty of New York City, has also never been involved in the formation of U.S. foreign policy. Giuliani finally gained an opportunity to deal with foreign policy when he was appointed to the Iraq Study Group, but he subsequently failed to show up for a single official meeting and then resigned from the panel.

Criticizing Barack Obama for his foreign policy experience and then praising Republican candidates, including Giuliani and Romney, for their “record of experience” is what people should actually find troublesome.

Parimal Garg (COL ’11)

Nov. 7, 2007