Norton Launches Campaign for Congress

KYLE YOUNG FOR THE HOYA
KYLE YOUNG FOR THE HOYA

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) kicked off her re-election campaign this Saturday, calling for D.C. autonomy and the strengthening of the District’s economy.

At an event at Busboys and Poets, Norton summarized her platform for what may be a 12th term in office.

“I am running for D.C. jobs and D.C. statehood,” she said. “I am running to tell … the Republican Party [to not] even try to … take the home rule we have, because we’re coming after the statehood we deserve.”

The kickoff began with a tap performance by D.C. dance duo Manzari Brothers and a brief introduction from longtime supporter Representative Steny Hoyer (D-Md.).

Announcing her candidacy, Norton reviewed some of her triumphs in Congress, including the passage of a tax credit for new home buyers in the District, and emphasized that she was able to enact these changes during a period of Republic control.

“Regardless of who controls [the country], this morning I am here to let them know they will not control the District of Columbia,” Norton said.

This message struck a chord with College Democrats member and Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E student representative Jake Sticka (COL ’13).

“I think it is fairly ironic that the same Republicans that emphasize the importance of state’s rights so vehemently oppose fair voting rights for D.C.,” Sticka said. “[Norton] has fought for residents of D.C. to have the same voting rights that every other U.S. taxpayer has and I’m confident she will continue to do so in her next term.”

Norton also expressed confidence in the Democratic Party’s election odds next year.

“I am running to help replace the Tea Party [Republicans] with a Democratic Congress to work with a Democratic president. And in case you haven’t heard, his name is Barack Obama,” Norton said to a cheering crowd.

Norton has historically attracted a large majority of votes in the District and faces no opposition in the Democratic primary elections on April 3.

In the Nov. 6 general election, she will be running against Statehood Green Party member NataleStracuzzi and Republican Nancy Farolina.