WOMEN’S SOCCER No Revenge for GU Hoyas Come Tumbling Down Against WVU Mountaineers By Eric Kim Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s soccer team took on No. 24 West Virginia with revenge in mind and with nothing to lose. Out of contention for a postseason tournament berth, the Hoyas looked to deter the Mountaineers, but fell to its divisional rival Friday 4-1 on Harbin Field. Last year, the Mountaineers edged out the Hoyas for the final spot in the postseason Big East Tournament by beating them in the season’s last game.

The Mountaineers picked apart Georgetown’s defense with three goals in the first half and never let the Hoyas settle into an offensive rhythm. West Virginia’s intimidating forward tandem of senior All-American forwards Katie Barnes and Chrissie Abbott could not be stopped as they combined to score all four of their team’s goals.

It didn’t take long to get Barnes involved in the offense. Less than 15 minutes into the game, Barnes fired a shot from 40 yards out past Georgetown senior goalkeeper Shereena Chang to give her team the one-goal lead. Barnes, the Big East Preseason Offensive Player of the Year, as well as last week’s conference Offensive Player of the Week, got her 11th goal of the year at the 12-minute mark.

Ten minutes later, the Mountaineers struck again, this time from Abbott. In the 22nd minute, Abbott received a pass from teammate Lisa Stoia and tapped a close-range shot into the net for the first of her two goals in this contest.

Abbott notched her second goal at the 39th minute to give West Virginia the commanding 3-0 lead going into halftime. Her goal was unassisted.

Just when they seemed out of it, the Hoyas struck back. Georgetown showed signs of life just 15 seconds after Abbott’s goal. Sophomore forward Courtney Shaub delivered sophomore forward Jessie Beers-Altman’s pass into the net for her fourth goal of the year. Shaub’s goal came at 39:57 and gave the Hoyas a renewed confidence for the second half.

West Virginia’s high-powered offense got the upper hand on Georgetown’s defense in the first half. The Mountaineers had the advantage in shots, 9-2, and the Hoyas could not contain the impressive forward duo of Barnes and Abbott, who had combined for 18 goals and 48 points going into Friday’s match-up.

“Our offense is playing together right now,” West Virginia Head Coach Nikki Izzo-Brown said. “Our girls were ready today.”

Georgetown’s momentum coming from Shaub’s late goal in the first half was sapped with West Virginia’s fourth goal. At the 54th minute, Barnes obtained her second goal of the game, putting away the Hoyas for good. Barnes’ Big East-leading 12th goal also extended her hold on the conference lead in points with 35.

The Hoyas, already hurt by an injury to offensive leader, junior forward Karin Ostrander, could not muster a comeback and fell to 8-7-1 overall and 1-4-1 in Big East Conference play. The ountaineers improved their record to 12-3-1 on the season.

West Virginia clearly dominated on offense as it attempted 15 shots on goal compared to Georgetown’s four. Chang made five saves in goal while her West Virginia counterpart, goalkeeper Laura Finley, had a relatively easy day stopping two shots. Hoya sophomore goalie Alexis George substituted for Chang in the last 11 minutes of the contest.

Georgetown will play its last game of the year on Halloween this Wednesday against fellow Big East team Virginia Tech at Harbin Field. The Hokies are tied for last in the Northeast Division of the conference and are coming off an overtime loss to Liberty. They are 8-8-3 on the year with a 1-3-1 record in conference play.

2001 Women’s Soccer Team Page Schedule Roster