UMBC Gives GU a Close Call

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

In its first four games, the No. 4 Georgetown men’s lacrosse team controlled the tempo and maintained significant leads – enough to ensure convincing victories against Colgate, Army, Penn State and Butler.

It was inevitable that a challenge was waiting in the wings – and the Hoyas found it this weekend against the Retrievers of aryland-Baltimore County.

“I’m not surprised it was a close game, but I was not wishing it would be a close game,” Head Coach Dave Urick said.

His Hoyas men’s lacrosse team managed to pull out a 11-10 victory over the Retrievers on a goal by junior midfielder Mike Henehan with just 4:10 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Henehan took a feed from freshman attackman Mike Hammer, who had scooped up a loose ball. With the Retriever defense swarming him, Hammer sent the ball to Henehan who put it in the back of the net for the game-winning goal and his second of the day.

“It was a frustrating day in a lot of ways. It was good to see that we were able to find a way to win,” Urick said. “We had lots of chances early to put the dagger in and we didn’t. You’ve got to give them credit for being well-prepared.”

The win, an Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference league game, improves the Hoyas’ record to 5-0 for the season and 2-0 in the ECAC. UMBC fell to 1-3 overall.

Henehan’s goal capped a fourth quarter in which the Hoyas outscored the Retrievers 3-1 after being outscored 5-1 in the third quarter. At one point, the Hoyas led 7-3 but then went on a scoring drought for almost 30 minutes, scoring just one goal in that time.

The lack of Georgetown offense allowed UMBC to come back and take a 9-8 lead with 2:43 left in the third quarter after a goal by senior attackman Jeff Ratcliffe. That goal was Ratcliffe’s fifth of the day and, unfortunately for the Retrievers, would be his last as the Hoya defense came on strong to finish out the game.

“We had a lot of self-inflicted wounds in the third quarter but we overcame them with some great saves by our goalie [sophomore Scott Schroeder],” Urick said.

Georgetown held UMBC to just one more goal and even held off a late scoring attempt by Ratcliffe with just 2:48 to play. Schroeder made an amazing save to prevent the tie and seal the win for the Hoyas.

Georgetown controlled the tempo of the first half, with senior attackman Andy Flick and sophomore midfielder Steve Dusseau scoring two goals apiece in the first quarter. The Hoyas managed to come back from the 9-8 deficit with another goal from Flick, this time off of a feed from sophomore midfielder Brett Wagner.

Flick led all scorers with three goals and two assists for five points. Senior attackman Peter Velepec also chipped in two goals.

After an impressive performance in the face-off circle against Butler, Georgetown struggled Sunday, winning just 11 of 24 face-offs. The Hoyas did execute on extra-man situations, scoring on three out of their six opportunities.

Schroeder finished the day with 10 saves and Retriever goalie Steve Cusa made 16 saves.

“We’re going to take a long, hard look at the videotape,” Urick said. “There are things we need to add in terms of how we execute and take care of the ball.

“There aren’t too many aspects of the game to point to as positive but we managed to come out on top of a team that was well-prepared.”

The Hoyas are in action again– Wednesday against Dartmouth at 3 p.m. on Kehoe Field.

“Sunday’s game was a little more physical [than past games this season],” Urick said. “It’s a quick turnaround for Dartmouth who is also going to be well-prepared.”

Dartmouth is 2-1 for the season with wins over Colgate and Albany. The Big Green, coached by former Hoya assistant Rick Sowell, is coming off a tough 14-9 loss to Villanova last Saturday.

Related Links

Men’s Lacrosse Statistics-Men’s Lacrosse Schedule