No. 6 Georgetown Throws No. 9 UMBC To the Dogs

By Karen Travers Hoya Staff Writer

The field may have been sloppy, but the Georgetown men’s lacrosse team used precise execution and a strong transition game to hold off a threat from No. 9 Maryland-Baltimore County. The Hoyas kept their unbeaten streak alive with a convincing 11-6 win over the Retrievers Sunday on a muddy Harbin Field.

“It seems like every time they tried to rise up, we had a response,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Urick said. “The ball certainly moves faster than the kids on a day like today and we were able to cash in on this.”

The win brings the Hoyas’ record to 4-0 for the season, while the Retrievers fall to 3-2.

After giving up an early extra-man goal, Georgetown dominated the first half, scoring five consecutive goals to take a 6-2 lead into halftime.

UMBC gained momentum in the third period, scoring two goals in two minutes to cut the Georgetown lead to 7-4, but the Hoyas’ defense proved too much for the scrappy Retrievers squad.

“They got some pretty good groundballs that we committed to and all of a sudden they pick it up and make one good pass,” UMBC Head Coach Don Zimmerman said. “They had better quality transition and I think a lot had to do with them getting the groundballs.”

Georgetown showed just how strong its transition game can be when, with just 49 seconds remaining in the third period, junior longstick defenseman Greg Papa took the ball across the midfield line for a defensive clear. With nothing but open field in front of him, Papa moved the ball to the outside of the crease and sent a shot past UMBC senior goalie Andrew Hampson. The goal put Georgetown ahead 8-4 and shifted the momentum back in the Hoyas’ direction.

Georgetown would go on to score three more goals in the final period, including junior attackman Andy Flick’s fifth tally of the day on an assist from senior midfielder Greg Hubschmann.

Flick also notched two assists to lead all scorers with seven points. UMBC’s Ratcliffe led the Retrievers with two goals and one assist.

In the cage, Georgetown senior Brian Hole stopped 15 UMBC shots, while Hampson turned away 18 Hoya shots.

Georgetown returns to action Saturday at 1 p.m. on Harbin Field against No. 3 Duke. The Hoyas are looking to break the curse of the Blue Devils, a team that has beaten them 11 times in so many games. The last two seasons, Georgetown has lost to Duke 8-7.

The Blue Devils are 6-0 for the season, with key wins over UMBC and then-No. 7 Maryland.