SAILING No. 3 GU Upsets ODU By Christine Bell Special to The Hoya

Tim Llewellyn/The Hoya The Georgetown coed sailing team is currently ranked third in the nation.

The Georgetown sailing program was back in action this past weekend. The co-ed team, ranked No. 3 in the country, competed in three separate regattas at Old Dominion, Harvard and the Coast Guard Academy. The women’s squad, ranked No. 12 sailed AISA/SAISA regatta at Hampton University.

The major highlight of the four regattas took place during the Old Dominion Team Race, in which the Hoyas overcame threatening high winds and waves to beat the No. 2 Old Dominion Monarchs in their home waters. Georgetown sailors senior Brian Bissell, senior elanie Wood, sophomore Eliza Ryan, senior Ken Ward, senior Leah Williams, senior Curtis Flood, senior Kat Penberthy, senior Jeff Chang and freshman Dorothee Bergin made up the various crews that combined for the upset victory. The victory gives the Hoyas momentum heading into the national qualifiers on April 6 and 7.

Another squad of six Hoya sailors journeyed to Harvard University to matchup with the best sailors in the northeast at the Southern New England Team Competition. This youth laden squad of sophomores Tyler Haskell, Thatcher Spring, Chris Harvey, Bill Jorch, Gabi Maguire and freshman Barbara Hall was the youngest group there and sailed to a fifth place finish behind traditional powerhouses Harvard, Stanford and Dartmouth.

The third co-ed regatta took place at the Coast Guard Academy. Extreme winds effected each team. Juniors Bryon LaMotte and Emma Trentman competed in the A division while freshman Steve Streit and sophomore Colleen Hehir sailed in the B division. They combined to finish eighth overall behind rivals Tufts, Brown, Yale and St. ary’s. Head Sailing Coach Mike Callahan called the finish average, saying the Hoyas sailed many good races but did not do enough to break into the top five.

At Hampton University, four of the women sailors competed in the AISA/SAISA, with junior Mimi Elliot and junior Shelly Wentworth racing in the A division, and junior Elizabeth Sampson and sophomore Emilie Lincoln competing in the B division. Collectively, the squads finished second overall. Sampson and Lincoln did not finish any lower than third in any of their 10 races.

The Hoyas look to continue sailing well and hope to maintain their high rankings heading into the national qualifiers next week.