No. 10 Hoyas Put the Squeeze on No. 17 Orangewomen

By Catherine Armentano Special to the Hoya

Ranked 10th by the latest Brine poll, the Georgetown’s women’s lacrosse team rebounded from a loss to Penn State with a resounding 17-9 win over Syracuse on Wednesday.

All-American sophomore attack Sheehan Stanwick led the Hoyas to victory by scoring five goals within first half, and adding a sixth before the close of the game. Unassisted, Stanwick scored the first goal just 5:22 seconds into the game.

Freshman attack Erin Elbe contributed to the score just four minutes later. The Orangewomen then responded with a goal of their own, which Stanwick answered with three consecutive goals, one assisted by sophomore midfielder Sarah Olgesby. Junior midfielder Kristen Baer and sophomore defender Reagan Raneri both contributed to Georgetown’s 9-1 halftime advantage.

Erica Hoffman of the Orangewomen scored within the first 10 seconds of the second half. The Hoyas resolutely responded with two back-to-back goals by junior attack Jordan Keating and Oglesby, making the tally 11-2.

However Syracuse’s Katrina Hable managed to end Georgetown’s scoring streak by assisting midfielder Jenna Szyluk, who scored the third goal of the game for Syracuse. Szyluk proceeded to score her second goal and Kara Hanover earned her first goal after Baer achieved her third goal of the day, making the score 12-5.

With 12 minutes left of play, freshman midfielder, Kate Adhearn regained the Hoyas’ nine-goal lead by scoring two consecutive goals, the first unassisted, the second from a penalty shot. Hanover narrowed this growing Hoya advantage, earning her second goal of the game with the assistance of Szyluk.

Elbe also earned her second goal of the day just before Stanwick achieved her sixth. Syracuse’s Hable then assisted Hofmann for two additional goals. Freshman Margaret Hauss of Georgetown also scored to tally the goals at 17-9.

Of the 17 shots on goal by the Orangewomen, Georgetown netminder Bowen Handler deflected six shots and allowed seven goals, while Chandler Vicchio rejected a shot and allowed two goals. The Hoyas took a total of 34 shots on goals, successfully making half.

In a grueling competition with Penn State, the Nittany Lions defeated the Hoyas 9-8 on March 8. With a run of 4 goals, the Hoyas tied the score at 8 with 1:33 left in the game. However, Emily echam scored the final goal to tally the game at 9-8. Elbe, Keating and Baer all contributed goals to Georgetown’s final score.

The Hoyas bounced back from the loss by defeating Lehigh University 19-3 on March 13. The Hoyas took control early in the game, earning a score of 10-2 at the end of the first half.

Olgesby and Stanwick each earned four goals apiece as well as two assists while Elbe contributed three goals. Goalie Holden rejected 15 shots from the Mountainhawks, allowing three goals while, Vicchio denied one shot.

The Hoyas will take on the William & Mary Tribe in Williamsburg on Sunday before playing host to the Duke Blue Devils on March 26.