No. 10 Georgetown Pummels No. 3 Princeton

By Ann Lawrence Hoya Staff Writer

As the last few seconds drained off the clock Sunday on Kehoe Field, sophomore goalie Bowen Holden calmly held the ball on her stick and waited for the whistle. With four goals apiece from sophomore All-American attack Sheehan Stanwick and freshman attack Erin Elbe, there was no need for any last ditch efforts in the ninth-ranked women’s lacrosse team’s decisive 10-4 upset over No. 3 Princeton (5-2). With the game in the record books, the Hoya bench sprinted on the field to celebrate a stunning upset, their fifth win of the season.

“I couldn’t be more pleased with the way the team played,” said Georgetown Head Coach Kim Simons as she celebrated the defeat of her alma mater. “[The win] was incredible.”

The Tigers gave the Hoyas some trouble early on, when junior midfielder Hilary Maddox scored the first goal of the game with 24:50 remaining in the first half. That would be Princeton’s only lead of the game. Georgetown quickly regrouped with an unassisted goal by sophomore midfielder Sarah Oglesby at 19:08, tying the score at one apiece.

The Hoyas went on to score four more unanswered goals in the first half against Tiger goalie Amber Mettler. Stanwick scored her first goal of the game off an assist by junior co-captain Kristen Baer at 16:02. Three minutes later, Elbe put Georgetown up 3-1. The Hoyas and the Tigers traded possession for the next 12 minutes before Stanwick scored the final two goals of the half. Georgetown went up by three on her goals with 1:04 remaining. Then, 44 seconds later, Stanwick earned a hat trick to put the Hoyas up 5-1 at the half.

With the second half came a goalie substitution as Laura Field entered the game for Princeton. The change didn’t seem to bother the Hoyas, however, as Elbe put an off-balance shot in the net for a five-goal lead at 28:25. Five minutes later, Stanwick finished up her scoring for the day with a shot that rolled past the goalie for a 7-1 Georgetown lead.

After a goal by junior attack Jordan Keating off a Stanwick assist at 22:33, Princeton took a timeout and put Mettler back in goal. But after Elbe notched a hat trick at 20:13 for a 9-1 lead, ettler was out and Field was back in to finish the game for the Tigers.

Finally at 16:28, Princeton notched another goal off a free position shot by Kim Smith. Georgetown answered back with Elbe’s fourth goal of the game at 11:51 to put the Hoya lead back up to eight. The Tigers finished up the day’s scoring with goals by Smith and freshman attack Lauren Simone, but it was too little too late.

Georgetown dominated in every category, outshooting Princeton 28-19. Holden had 10 saves for the Hoyas while Tiger goalies ettler and Field combined for six saves. Oglesby controlled the draws for Georgetown, winning 13 of 16.

“I think the biggest difference [in the win against Princeton] is that we played the entire game instead of just part of the game against Duke Friday,” Simons said.

In Friday’s game, Georgetown lost the momentum of an early 7-3 lead to eventually fall to No. 2 Duke 10-9 with the help of two Blue Devil goals in the last 90 seconds of the game by junior attack Kelly Dirks.

The game was close early as Georgetown and Duke traded goals back and forth during the first half. Stanwick started the scoring at 26:25 off an assist by Elbe. Blue Devil sophomore midfielder Amy Noble answered 70 seconds later with a shot of her own to tie the score at one apiece. After Holden and the Hoya defense dodged some trouble, Elbe’s quick pass to Keating resulted in an even quicker pass and a 2-1 Georgetown lead.

After a yellow flag at 19:38, Duke sophomore Kate Kaiser tied the game up off a free position shot. The score stayed tied until just under five minutes remained when Dirks scored her second of the day. After a Georgetown timeout, Oglesby’s shot found the back of the net to tie the score at 3-3 going into halftime.

In the second half, the Hoyas came out on fire, going on a 4-0 scoring run. Oglesby’s pass to Elbe from behind the goal at 25:58 put Georgetown up by one. A diving shot up the middle by Stanwick at 23:37 and the quick shot by Baer just 43 seconds later gave the Hoyas a 6-3 lead. Oglesby scored her second goal of the game at 21:30 to put Georgetown up by four.

But Duke refused to be beaten, scoring four goals over the next four minutes. Sophomore midfielder Kate Soulier, Dirks, freshman midfielder Claire Sullivan and junior attack Tricia Martin all notched goals to tie it up at seven. After a Georgetown timeout, the Hoyas took another lead at 15:50 when Stanwick earned her first hat trick of the weekend. Elbe then put the score at 9-7 with 7:36 remaining – her second of the game.

The Blue Devils shortened the Hoyas’ lead to one off a goal by Martin at 6:21. Both teams traded shots over the next few minutes with senior co-captain Beth Doty coming up with a defensive save for Georgetown with three minutes remaining. Duke junior goalie Shannon Chaney then made a clutch save on a fast break with 2:02 left in the game. With 1:33 to go, Dirks began her two-goal run to give the Blue Devils the win.

For the game, Duke outshot Georgetown 29-24 and controlled the draws 11-8. The Hoyas led in groundballs 15-13. Holden made 13 saves for the Hoyas, while Chaney stopped five for the Blue Devils.

Georgetown looks to earn its sixth win of the season Wednesday when the Hoyas play host to the Towson Tigers at 3 p.m. on Kehoe Field.