New South Formally Rededicated

The New South residence hall may no longer warrant its infamous “dirty South” image following a series of renovations that began over the summer and have been completed in recent weeks.

Georgetown faculty and staff gathered at the new courtyard entranceway yesterday afternoon to formally rededicate the residence hall.

University President John J. DeGioia, who lived in New South as a student, resident assistant and later as a hall director, thanked Karen Frank, vice president of facilities and student housing, and Todd Olson, vice president of student affairs, for their commitment to this project and its celebrated success.

“After 26 years of persistence, I feel pride that we have finally arrived,” DeGioia said. “This speaks to the core of our identity to provide undergraduates with the best housing experience possible.”

Though New South received little renovation to its exterior, the new lobby now has a refurbished look, including two new elevators, an updated, more secure entrance system and renovated office space. A landscaped courtyard outside the building’s main entrance has replaced the loading dock as well.

Each floor in the freshman residence hall has refurbished common rooms with cooking facilities, a laundry room with four dryers and washers and hallways with fresh carpeting and better lighting.

“The building has a little less historic charm now and hopefully `dirty South’ will be nothing short of a footnote soon,” Olson said.

According to Brent Morowitz (COL ’08), a member of the New South Community Council, students are thankful that the construction zone in front of the building has been cleared and midmorning fire alarms have decreased. Students also expressed excitement about planning social events such as barbeques in the new space.

In addition to the New South renovations, construction on Southwest Quad and two buildings at the Law Center has been completed this year in an effort to provide better facilities for the Georgetown community.

“New South though has always been a transforming part of the community and it will continue playing that role,” Olson said.