Georgetown Student Dies After Accident

Georgetown student Amanda Gesine Winklevoss (COL ’03), died June 14 of unknown causes on the set of an upcoming Billy Crystal and Robert DeNiro movie.

Winklevoss, 23, was with friends in Manhattan’s Chelsea district on 10th Avenue when they came across the Analyze That set around midnight. Winklevoss climbed into a camera truck despite protests from the crew, according to a June 20 New York Post article. After becoming unconscious, Winklevoss was rushed to St. Vincent’s Hospital by the camera crew and pronounced dead on arrival. The exact cause of Winklevoss’s death is still unknown.

Remembered as a compassionate and caring person, skilled athlete and aspiring thespian,

Amanda, who had transferred to Georgetown from Williams College last year, was looking forward to returning to Washington, D.C., in the fall.

“She loved Georgetown,” her mother, Carol Winklevoss, said. “She was so enthusiastic and felt that she had found her roots and was very happy there.”

Winklevoss was a psychology major but had a great interest in French, sparked after she spent a year abroad in an immersion program at a villa in southern France. Her determined attitude and personality left a strong impression on Georgetown French professor Stella Cohen-Scali, who taught Winklevoss’s intensive French class last spring.

“She wanted to learn, succeed and do well and loved what she did,” Cohen-Scali said. “She was the perfect student that any teacher could ask for; always concerned about the quality of her work and doing what was necessary.”

Classmates took note of Winklevoss’ friendly attitude.

“She was very, very nice and not just another face in the crowd,” classmate Bogdan Terschenko (SFS ’05) said.

“Whenever I teach that class I always have a thought for her and will always have a thought for her because I think she was a very special person,” Cohen-Scali said. “Amanda was a great student and a great human being.”

Amanda starred in several productions, such as Guys and Dolls, while attending high school in her native Greenwich, Conn. She also performed during the summers with the Quogue Junior Theater Troupe on Long Island, which recently named a scholarship in her honor.

An aspiring actress, she had recently completed her role in a documentary about the persecution of women in India. The film unfolded from the viewpoint of an American girl as she spoke with and gathered information from various people within the Sikh community, Carol Winklevoss said.

Although she originally planned to travel to India to study discrimination against the Sikhs, the movie crew’s plans were changed after Sept. 11. Amanda’s involvement in the documentary and her attention to tolerance, however, garnered her an award from the Sikh community in California.

“We received an award in the mail last month to honor her for taking an interest in the Sikh community,” Carol Winklevoss said.

The bulk of the documentary is now complete and has been previewed at film festivals around the nation.

A multi-talented individual, Amanda was an avid tennis player and had won the Flight A Tennis Championships at the Quogue Field Club in Quogue, N. Y., where her family resides each summer.

“Growing up she was unique in the sense that on her own she completely fell in love with tennis,” Carol Winklevoss said.

An annual Most Valuable Player Award to commemorate Amanda’s skill and love for the game was given out for the first time at the Field Club’s annual awards ceremony this past weekend.