Apple Store to Open on Wisconsin Avenue

ac lovers, fear no more; an Apple store is on its way to Georgetown.

The store will be located at 1229 Wisconsin Ave., the former home of the retailer French Connection, which was sold to Apple Inc. on Sept. 27, 2007, according to an article in the Washington Business Journal.

The District of Columbia Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs confirmed that a building and elevator permit was filed in August 2008, but its approval has not been confirmed. According to the DCRA Web site, no raze permits for this address have been approved within the last year. The Old Georgetown Board also needs to approve any demolition at the property.

any rumors have surrounded the opening of the Apple Store in Georgetown. According to an article on ifoapplestore.com, in September 2007 Apple was working on a deal to buy the building currently occupied by Nathan’s Restaurant at 3150 M St., but it fell through. The restaurant’s lease on this location expires in

April 2009, according to the article.

Currently the closest Apple store locations are at Tyson’s Corner and Pentagon City, Va., and in Bethesda, Md.

Apple corporate headquarters declined to comment.

– Caitlin MacNeal

GUTS Bus Crashes in Second Accident This Week

A Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle Bus from Rosslyn stalled in the middle of the Francis Scott Key Bridge and made contact with another car on Friday afternoon.

The passengers were evacuated and escorted back to campus at approximately 6:15 p.m. and an Arlington, Va. police officer was dispatched to direct traffic and ease congestion.

The stalling marked the second traffic incident in three days that involved a GUTS bus. On Wednesday, a minivan collided with a shuttle outside the university’s Canal Road entrance. In that case, the bus was out of service and no students were injured, though two passengers of the minivan were hospitalized.

Student reaction upon hearing of the second incident was mixed. “I’ll definitely be more wary next time I take the shuttle,” said Joshua Pierson (COL ’10), who said he rides the GUTS bus frequently. “I know they’re just accidents, but they definitely raise questions about the safety of the system.”

Other students appeared less concerned. “It happens,” Vincent Kennedy (COL ’11), an occasional rider, said. “Nobody was hurt. I think the university should be commended for the way the administrators handled the situations.”

An Office of Transportation Management employee said (s)he was unaware of the incident.

– Kevin Suyo