Panel Addresses Issue of Gender-Related Violence

Students gathered Wednesday night in McShain Lounge Small for a discussion with an expert panel the issue of gender-motivated violence in contexts ranging from local campus events to international law. The event was part of Take Back the Night Week, an annual week of events sponsored by Take Back the Night to raise awareness for gender-related violence.

Nancy Cantalupo, assistant dean of clinical education at the Law Center and the first director of the university’s Women’s Center, which was founded in 1995, presented perspectives on domestic and international law relating to the issue.

“The law is replete with examples of ignoring, condoning, even encouraging gender-motivated violence,” Cantalupo said.

Bill McCoy, associate director of student programs and LGBTQ community resources, addressed the limited view with which people often approach gender-related issues, especially attitudes toward transgendered individuals.

“The transgender experience is very different. It’s not about sexuality. . It’s really about how you interact with the world,” McCoy said. “It’s the most obvious group that is discriminated against based on gender.”

During a discussion about recent incidents involving gay students on campus, McCoy argued that “[these actions are] actually not innately homophobic.” Instead, he said, they are slurs based on appearances that other males deem unacceptable.

Hemly Ordonez (SFS ’08), event coordinator and interim program director for the Women’s Center said, “In light of the recent hate crimes on campus, we wanted to be more expansive on the conversation on gender-related violence.”

The event was also sponsored by GU Pride and Leaders in Education About Diversity.

Other TBTN events this week included an open-mic night, a documentary-dinner and a discussion of sexual assault. A vigil and rally against gendered violence is planned for tonight.

– Carolyn Arnold

DeGioia’s Salary Up by 4.3 Percent for 2005-2006

University President John J. DeGioia’s salary increased by $24,000 during the period of July 2005- June 2006 from the previous year, according to the university’s most recent tax records.

DeGioia earned $558,340, along with an additional $31,509 in benefits, for a total salary of $589,849. He earned $565,578 during the same period from 2004-2005.

“The Board of Directors determines the president’s and senior university officers’ salaries,” university spokesperson Julie Bataille said. “They review this information annually taking into account a variety of issues including experience and qualifications, job performance and the market rate for the positions.”

The top four highest-paid university officials behind DeGioia – then-Executive Vice President for Health Sciences Stuart Bondurant, Senior Vice President Spiros Dimolitsas, University Provost James O’Donnell and Executive Vice President for the Law Center T. Alexander Aleinikoff – all saw salary increases of between $10,000 and $30,000.

The university made a net $172,306,762 from July 2005-June 2006, pushing its net balance over $1 billion.

Bloomberg News reported that 23 public university presidents earned more than $500,000 for 2005-2006, led by University of ichigan President Mary Sue Coleman, who earned $724,604.

– Victoria Fosdal