MSB Moves Up in Global Business School Rankings

Georgetown’s McDonough School of Business moved up two spots in The Financial Times’ 2007 global business school rankings for MBA programs, from 36th to 34th. Among U.S. schools, the MSB took the 20th spot.

The business school ranked third worldwide in international business and eighth in salary percent increase at North American schools, a category which compares the jump in students’ salaries before and after they obtain an MBA.

“I think that our good fortune in the rankings is due primarily to the hard work of the staff, faculty, students and alumni of MSB and Georgetown, more generally. Together we have defined a clear vision of our future and are now moving in deliberate ways to implement that vision,” said George Daly, dean of the MSB.

Raymond Cooper, associate dean for marketing, communications, and strategic initiatives, stressed the importance of maintaining a relationship with MSB graduates, noting that the MSB has aggressively reached out to alumni to update them on the progress that the school has made. Daly has made trips to Los Angeles and San Francisco to meet with graduates.

-Blair Munhofen

Study Shows Iraq Instability Worsens Regional Problems

Instability in Iraq is leading to civil war and possibly greater regional problems, according to a report co-written by Center for Peace and Security Studies Director Daniel Byman.

The study, released by the independent Brookings Institution, focused on the implications of civil war in the Middle East. The paper’s authors argue that conflict will spread to the neighboring countries and further destabilize the region, in what Byman terms “six forms of spillover.”

According to the report, if nothing is done to restrain the effects of an Iraqi civil war, the results will include a surge in the number of Iraqi refugees, economic losses, secessionism and the probable spread of international terrorism.

Byman also says that the United States must be held accountable for its involvement in the region.

“The United States has a responsibility for what has happened in Iraq,” Byman said, claiming that the results of a civil war in Iraq will be costly and have repercussions in American foreign policy for years to come.

The report was based on a year-long examination of the region and intensive research on the consequences of past civil wars in countries under similarly volatile circumstances.

Byman and co-author Kenneth Pollack said that the growing likelihood of civil war in Iraq makes containment of the region’s problems the best strategy for the U.S. They outlined a plan for the United States to take action to limit the regional effects of such a war. The most effective strategy would include pulling back from population centers in Iraq and discouraging foreign intervention in Iraq, the report urges.

-Susan Weeber

GU Has Room to Improve in Sustainability, Report Says

When it comes to thinking green, Georgetown has sub-par marks on at least one report card.

The College Sustainability Report Card, which graded the 100 wealthiest colleges and universities on their environmental sustainability, gave the university a C+. The grades were based on 26 different criteria related to efficient use of financial and environmental resources.

The report praised Georgetown for its Center for the Environment and for its investment priorities, which maximize profit and further investment in renewable energy.

But Georgetown earned failing marks in the report’s “Endowment Transparency” category, due to Georgetown’s refusal to make its holdings and other financial information public.

“The University simply does not have the money that other colleges do to spend on developing a sustainable infrastructure,” Allison Shapiro, president of the Georgetown environmental awareness group Eco-Action, said.

Georgetown’s grade was about average for the group of schools examined. Only four schools – Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Stanford University and Williams College – earned an A-, the highest grade given.

-Peter Nelson

Verozon Center Manager Seeks Funds to Renovate

Verizon Center may soon be in line for a facelift, as Washington Wizards owner and Verizon Center Manager Abe Pollin has asked the District of Columbia for $50 million to renovate the Chinatown arena.

The funds would be used primarily to upgrade the arena’s luxury suites and replace its scoreboard. Such renovations would make the arena more accommodating for large-scale events.

Washington, D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty has been noncommittal so far with regard to Pollin’s request.

Valca Valentine, spokeswoman for the Deputy Mayor of Planning and Economic Development Neil Albert, said that discussions so far have been “preliminary.”

No plan to fund the $50 million renovation has yet been proposed. However, Washington Sports and city officials have discussed increasing the tax on Verizon Center tickets to finance the renovations.

– Andrew Dwulet

Officials Urge Faster Chesapeake Bay Decontamination

With the 2010 deadline for a full clean-up of the Chesapeake Bay approaching, the Environmental Protection Agency said this month that efforts need to be accelerated in order to decontaminate the bay in time.

Beth Lefebvre, communications coordinator for the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, which works with the government and businesses to protect the bay, said the bay’s most serious problem is nitrogen pollution from agriculture, storm water run-off and air pollution.

She said the exact cost of the clean-up depends on how the money is used, but environmentalists say they are still billions of dollars away from reaching their goal of a clean and uncontaminated bay.

The clean-up, which began in 1987, missed its initial deadline of 2000, at which point the District of Columbia, Virginia, aryland, Pennsylvania, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Chesapeake Bay Commission, a tri-state commission that advises Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania on bay-related matters, agreed to a 10-year initiative to restore and protect the Chesapeake Bay.

Maryland’s goal in 2000 was to reduce 20 million pounds of nitrogen pollution per year. “We are about half way there,” Lefebvre said.

But she said that funding has been a major issue. “The biggest problem is, it’s voluntary,” she said.

Bruce Michael, director of the Tidewater Ecosystem Assessment Division for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, said that the state is using homeowners’ fees to fund wastewater treatment plants and will hopefully raise $600 million in the next 10 years. However, this amount is not nearly enough to fully clean the bay by 2010.

– Megan Moran