DeGioia Travels to China To Foster Education ExchangeDuring a trip to Beijing on March 8, University President John J. DeGioia met with Chinese State Councilor Liu Yandong to renew and expand scholarly exchanges and programs between Georgetown and China.

“[The visit was] part of Georgetown’s ongoing efforts to support and develop collaborative relationships and programs [in China],” university spokesperson Julie Bataille said in an e-mail.

DeGioia visited China at the invitation of the Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries. According an article published by Xinhua News Agency, the official press agency of the People’s Republic of China, DeGioia pledged to stimulate educational exchanges between China and the United States and discussed with Chinese officials such as Yandong Georgetown’s growing relationship with Chinese universities.

“As part of Georgetown’s commitment to global engagement, the university has established several cooperative relationships in China,” Bataille said.

Georgetown has collaborations with many major Chinese universities such as Fudan University in Shanghai, where a liaison office opened in 2007 to enhance scholarly exchange with Georgetown and Fudan. The office also aims to foster mutual understanding between the United States and China, partly through organizing visits of Georgetown delegations to China and of Chinese delegations to Georgetown. In addition, Georgetown has an agreement with the China Scholarship Council to sponsor post-doctoral fellowships to study at Georgetown.

The university has also worked to promote inter-religious dialogue and exchanges with China by forging a cooperative agreement in 2008 with China’s Center for Religious Studies of the State Administration for Religious Affairs, which enables exchanges between various religious organizations in China and their counterparts in other countries.

-Clare Scanlan

In Response to Thefts, DPS Registers Bikes

In response to a growing number of bicycle thefts on campus, the Department of Public Safety took another step in protecting student bike owners last week by launching an on-campus bike registration program.

Sgt. Joseph Smith said he believes that the new program will be an effective deterrent when combined with the other programs already in place.

“Bike registration is just part of a holistic approach to crime prevention by DPS and the Georgetown campus community. We are also selling U-bolt locks and are stepping up patrols of bike racks,” he said. “In addition, we are seeking to educate the campus about bike security through a public education campaign.”

Students can register their bicycles by purchasing registration stickers for five dollars and then placing the stickers on their bikes. Students will also receive free registration when they purchase a U-lock.

The registration information is then entered into the National Bike Registry, making it easier for law enforcement to identify whether or not the rider of a bike is its real owner. The registration sticker will also make it easier for recovered bikes to be returned to their owners.

Some students expressed their excitement about the increase in bicycle safety the new program could bring to campus.

“I am happy to hear that Georgetown University is increasing the protection given to bike owners on campus. This program could really help decrease or remove bike thefts from our community,” Connor Gaffney (COL ’11) said.

Another student, Neil Mathew (COL ’11), agreed with Gaffney’s sentiment.

“I do feel that it’s more secure,” Mathew said. “Before if your bike got stolen they wouldn’t have an easy way of tracking it down, and this system provides a much better way of ensuring that if something happens, the person that committed the crime will be caught.”

Smith said the program had already attracted registrants and that he expects more students to register as spring approaches, when more students will be riding.

“Students have begun using the registration service and we expect the number of registrations to increase as the weather warms and interest in biking grows with the season,” he said.

According to Smith, the number of bike thefts on campus had decreased since the beginning of the year, even before the installment of this new program.

“We had an initial spike in thefts at the beginning of the fall semester, and then the number of incidents dropped significantly,” he said.

-Tomi Maxted