Georgetown Tops List for Peace Corp Volunteers

The Jesuit tradition of helping others has left its mark on Georgetown’s students, as the university was ranked ninth in the medium schools category for number of alumni joining the Peace Corps upon graduation.

According to the annual ranking, “Peace Corps Top Colleges and Universities 2009,” 35 alumni from the Class of 2008 joined the service program. The rankings consider medium-sized schools as those with a student body between 5,001 and 15,000 undergraduates.

In a category including all the private colleges and universities in the nation, Georgetown ranked fifth for the second year in a row. University President John J. DeGioia lauded the efforts of students and alumni alike.

“Georgetown students and alumni are deeply committed to service and community engagement at the local, national and global levels,” DeGioia said in a press release. “And they are well prepared to make valuable contributions to the communities they serve.”

any students get their start in volunteerism through university activities, which are run mainly through the Center for Social Justice, research, teaching and service.

According to a university press release, over the past 47 years, 807 Georgetown alumni have joined the Peace Corps to continue the commitment to helping others.

The Peace Corps draws its recruits from over 3,000 schools and has volunteers in 76 different countries. In total, there have been 195,000 volunteers that have at one point in time served in the Peace Corps, which, according to its Web site, was founded with the intent to “to promote peace and friendship around the world.”

Georgetown maintained its undergraduate ranking from last year, and moved up two places to 10th place in the category of graduate students who entered the Peace Corps. Georgetown topped the list of private colleges and university in 2003, when it sent 66 graduates to the Peace Corps. That same year, the university ranked second among medium-sized schools.

-Tomi Maxted