C-SPAN Bus Kicks Off Inaugural Celebrations at Georgetown

On Thursday, C-SPAN’s Campaign 2008 Bus finished its “Road to the White House” tour on Healy Lawn at Georgetown University.

Students were invited to tour the inside of the bus, which doubles as a production studio and a site for educational programs for high schools, universities and community groups across the country.

The 45-foot interior of the campaign bus was lined with large election-themed panels, a flat-screen monitor, which serves as a backdrop for interviews, and benches along the opposite wall.

C-SPAN has two such tour buses, which will be stationed in Washington, D.C., for the inauguration this Tuesday. The first bus will be on the corner of 12th Street and Madison Drive. The second bus will be at Inauguration Fest, which will be held at the Old Washington Convention Center Site, located at 1001 H St. NW, and will contain different presidential exhibits.

According to C-SPAN’s Web site, since January 2007, these buses have played host to 816 different elected officials in 285 different cities across the United States in 43 various states. The buses have also covered 112 campaign events, including the Iowa caucus and the New Hampshire primary.

C-SPAN Marketing Representative Rachel Katz says that with this tour they hoped to let students know that C-SPAN is a unique news outlet.

Georgetown student Elise McKenna (MSB ’12) says she was walking to lunch when she saw the C-SPAN bus and decided to take a tour. McKenna said that it is opportunities like these that are part of what makes the Georgetown experience so exciting and added that she feels lucky to be here.

– Elizabeth Rowe