New South Dorm Wired for Cable, Internet Soon to Follow

By Keavney F. Klein Hoya Staff Writer

After winter renovations, New South dormitory is now able to provide multiple phone lines and cable television and In-room Ethernet connections may be in place by the end of the semester. The improvements leave Village B, Nevils and Village A as the remaining dormitories that lack Ethernet connections.

Each New South room was installed with two new phone jacks for improved telephone service and a video jack for cable service. There is also a new computer lab on the second floor with five acintoshes and five PCs.

The residents of New South are enjoying free cable through the end of January. Richard Kogut, Chief University Information Architect said that they are enjoying this privilege thanks to their cooperation in emptying their closets before break, which facilitated the technicians’ work.

The rewiring represents another step in the university’s ongoing efforts to improve its technology, which has been criticized as lagging behind that of similar institutions.

According to Kogut, the decision to rewire the building was not difficult to make, as there have been many requests by students in the past for updated technology at the university. However, “Figuring out how to [rewire] was difficult because of a lack of infrastructure in such an old building,” he said.

The university had formerly said that New South could not be rewired without a major renovation of the entire building. Kogut said that instead of using copper wire, “New South is serving as a pilot project for new data networking technology. Fiber optic cables have been installed to bring the network to the desktop, as opposed to the copper wiring used in other university buildings.” He said that, once activated, the system will bring New South to the cutting edge of technology.

Kogut said that the new data networking system will deliver a “switched” 10 megabits per second (10 Mbps) network connection to the rooms. This connection will be more private and less susceptible to the interceptions that occur with traditional shared Ethernet connections.

While 10 Mbps is the same speed as that of the Ethernet connections in other university buildings, New South’s cables will eventually be able to support speeds up to one gigabit per second (1000 Mbps), though these speeds will not be available for quite some time.