New Coach for GU – Will There Be New Results?

Ex-Assistant Wilk Out to Improve Program’s Quality

By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

Should a fan in the crowd of a Georgetown baseball game attempt to spot Head Coach Pete Wilk sitting in the dugout they would indeed be hard pressed. Not because he won’t be there, instead the difficulty stems from Wilk’s youthful demeanor. To the unfamiliar eye Wilk’s face would blend flawlessly in with many of his upperclassman players.

However, lacking in experience he is not. Wilk played college baseball for Rollins College in Florida and after graduating played semi-pro ball for four years.

“That was just for beer and gas money,” Wilk said.

Before coming to Georgetown in 1997 as an assistant coach under former Head Coach Kirk Mason, who resigned in June, Wilk served as an assistant at both Boston University and Harvard. After he was told he would not receive the head coaching job at Harvard due to lack of experience as a head coach, Wilk left to take the reigns at Acton-Boxboro High School in Massachusetts.

“Leaving Harvard was one of the hardest things I have ever done,” Wilk said. “But I thought that I had done all I could do there as an assistant.”

In addition, Wilk has spent several of the last few summers as coach for the Mat-Su Miners in the Alaskan League, a wooden-bat league for college players (who use aluminum bats in regular-season play) to stay in practice over the summer months as well as exhibit their proficiency with a wooden bat for professional scouts.

Next spring Wilk will attempt to utilize some of that experience and breathe some life into Georgetown’s dormant baseball program. Beginning with a game against the Duke Blue Devils, on Feb. 4 the Hoyas will seek to rebound from last year’s 18-34 season performance, which included a 13-game losing streak during April. However, just as the first game against the perennially strong Blue Devils, the road to improving the Georgetown baseball program will not be an easy one.

“The schedule is nothing like last year’s,” Wilk said. “We played some teams last year that we would beat by 20 runs. I didn’t see how that helped us. This year we eliminated most of those teams and replaced them with some quality competition.”

Such a schedule seems to be in perfect alignment with Wilk’s attitude. When asked his thoughts on playing in, and being the doormat of, the Big East – in which the Hoyas were 2-24 last season and haven’t made the tournament since 1986 – Wilk responded, “I like a challenge. I’d rather be in a tough conference than a powder puff.”

In that same vein, due to the increase in difficulty in the schedule Wilk cautions critics not to judge the team’s improvement or lack of improvement based on their record alone. Instead they should base their assessment as he will, on the little things.

“We don’t have a goal as far as a record goes,” Wilk said. “Our goals will lie in the more intricate aspects of the game. We have to walk before we can run.”

Wilk also said that despite the short porch in left field (301 feet down the line) the team will rely on “an aggressive short game offense.”

“[Assistant Coach] Matt Allison will run the offense,” Wilk said. “We see the game and the team the same way. We’re not the Bronx Bombers. We need our guys to do the little things, hit and run, bunt, and steal bases.”

Only time will tell what success Wilk will meet as head coach, but if his sincerity to the program is any indication, the Georgetown baseball team can get itself on the right track.