Georgetown volleyball has a new face at its helm after Arlisa Hagan was named the new women’s volleyball head coach Dec. 27.

Former coach Li Liu resigned after a disappointing 6-22 season in which the Hoyas went winless at home. In her seven years at Georgetown, Liu compiled a 110-103 record (41-42 Big East).

Hagan not only brings an impressive resume to Georgetown and a history of success at the highest levels of Division I volleyball, but also an eagerness about her new position.

She spent her last four years as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at the University of Florida. Under her, the Gators were nationally competitive, playing in their first national championship game in the 2003 season.

Hagan attended the University of Wisconsin where she garnered All-Big 10 honors three times, led Wisconsin to a Big 10 championship in 1990 and set school records in blocks (618) and kills (1,495).

While she has only been in the District for four days and has yet to work with her players on the court, Hagan said she is already excited about coaching,

“I just got here Monday and I’ve already validated all of my reasons for coming here. You talk to the coaches and they’re just so excited about Georgetown athletics,” she said.

Every team Hagan has been associated with has reached some level of success. She set school records and won conference honors at Wisconsin, helped American University to a 52-8 record over two years as well as a Patriot League championship and national success in competition and recruiting at Florida.

Hagan’s recruiting at Florida was impressive; in her two full years she brought in freshman classes ranked second and tenth in the nation.

And she plans to continue her recruiting success on the Hilltop.

“I am going to be involved in the process; Mitch [Assistant Coach Mitch Sadowsky] is going to be involved in selling a school that really sells itself,” Hagan said.

Academically, Hagan said she wants a team that hits the books as hard as the court and maintains top grades. “We’re going to be looking for student athletes who are going to grow both on the court and in the classroom and I think we’ve done a really good job of that so far,” she said.

While a spate of injuries downed the Hoyas early last season, Hagan said she was confident the team would be competitive soon..

“The biggest issue with injuries is strength and conditioning. We’re going to try different things in the weight room. They should work out great,” she said.

Hagan added that the Hoyas have “great” talent and “a lot of exceptional hitters.”

With the goal of a conference championship and a birth in the NCAA championships as goals, Hagan looks to lead a formerly tenuous program to the next level.