By Blake Roberts

Frisbees glide through the air, students “study” on the lawn and volleyballs bounce over nets in front of Healy. The gardeners spend their days replenishing the flower beds on our Hilltop, and Joe Hoya can’t help but admire how good Jane looks in that sundress. A few classes convene on the steps in front of White Gravenor, in Dahlgren Quad or under an oak on Copley Lawn. Red Square gets more crowded in between classes, and the Village C hill suddenly seems like a great place to get a tan. It seems that everybody has a bounce in their walk, and a great day starts the moment you step out into the sunlight. Like God’s grace, spring has come to Georgetown.

This past winter hasn’t been easy for our university. We’ve experienced hate, have had our safety threatened and lost a friend and neighbor. Arguments have played themselves out in the pages of our newspapers, in the halls of our buildings and in our own hearts. We’ve all had to question what Georgetown is and where we intend to take her. We’ve had to question the nature of our community and assess the damage every time something has happened. But Georgetown’s winter is over, and spring has come.

Spring has always been the season of rebirth and new hope, and this spring will serve that purpose for Georgetown both literally and symbolically. The season offers practical solutions to our problems. Lacking community? Toss up some nets on Copley lawn, mark off some space for a game of Frisbee, play some music and watch the students come together. Frustrated by the hook-up culture? Take that girl or guy from English on a stroll through the Georgetown area or down along the riverfront for lunch or a drink.

But this spring has deeper meaning for Georgetown. We’ve had our time to break down; now it is time to build up. We’ve been torn at the seams; now it’s time to mend our community. We’ve had enough hate; now it’s time for some love. And while we will always weep and mourn our losses, we must now laugh and dance as well, for through this we honor our departed, too. The time has come to heal.

And the time has come for new beginnings. Like the seasons changing, the flow of people in and out of our community is inevitable. And this community will lose two prominent members at the close of this year as well as the next, and the all-important process of selecting their replacements will occur as spring unfolds. New beginnings. The Southwest Quadrangle is going up, the hospital has been sold, and the Third Century campaign’s effects will start to be felt on campus. New funds, new buildings, new direction from new administrators, new beginnings for our Georgetown.

New beginnings often cause fear and uncertainty. Georgetown need not be afraid. We are, after all, a Catholic university and a home to people of many faiths. Many of these faiths hold that the Bible is God’s word. And what does the Bible have to say to Georgetown in our time of uncertainty? From the book of Jeremiah: “For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope” (29:11).

Well, I could never say it any better than that. Our community has a future in God’s plan, and we will be the ones who start to take it there. What we need is the faith that by being ourselves and by working together, we are enough. We are Georgetown. We can take this community where it needs to go. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be here.

God’s grace has come to Georgetown. It comes as spring, and it’s right on time.

Blake Roberts is a sophomore in the College.

Have an opinion on this subject? Submit a letter to the Editor.