New Attempt to Expand GUTS

The GUSA senate unanimously passed a resolution Sunday night that called for extending the Rosslyn, Wisconsin Avenue and Dupont Circle Metro Georgetown University Transportation Shuttle weekend bus schedules.

The bill is similar to a failed 2011 attempt by the GUSA senate to implement “Night Owl” and “Early Bird” shuttles to Dupont Circle. The bill, though passed unanimously by the senate, was not supported by the administration due to funding constraints.

Sponsored by Georgetown University Student Association senator Mary Beth Brosnihan (SFS ’13), this year’s resolution seeks to expand service to the three locations on Saturdays and Sundays from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. with at least one stop every hour.

“If [the university is] not supporting transportation options, then we are not able to enjoy [the rest of D.C.]” Brosnihan said. “Transportation should not be a reason why students are not exploring the community.”

The GUTS bus weekend schedule currently provides a Saturday service to Rosslyn and Dupont Circle Metro, with approximately one stop every hour and a half, ending around 6 p.m. The GUTS bus service does not run at all on Sunday.

In meetings with the Office of Transportation Management, Brosnihan said that funding for the extended bus service has yet to be determined.

Brosnihan’s original bill only included extensions of the Dupont and Rosslyn shuttles. The senate amended the resolution to call for GUTS bus shuttles to Wisconsin Avenue from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. — a move that Brosnihan called “idealist,” but hoped it would be a jumping-off point for discussions with administration.

“The resolution is intended to start a conversation with administrators,” Senate Speaker George Spyropoulos (COL ’14) said.

GUSA senator Nicolò Donà Dalle Rose (SFS ’15) shared a similarly optimistic view of the resolution.

“This would be a good signal to show that expanded trips to Dupont on Saturday nights is not enough,” Dalle Rose said.