Nevils Renovations Will Target Remaining Asbestos

Major renovations to the Nevils apartment complex this summer will include the removal of asbestos from the building, according to Vice President for Facilities and Student Housing Karen Frank.

“It’s going to be quite an extensive renovation,” Frank said.

Asbestos that remains in the building will be removed during the project, Frank said. A fiber that was commonly used as insulation until the 1980s, asbestos can cause serious health problems to individuals who are exposed to it for a prolonged period of time. Residents of Nevils are not currently exposed to asbestos, according to Frank.

“The only time that asbestos is a problem is when it is cracked or disintegrating,” she said, adding that much of the asbestos has already been removed from the building in recent years.

“But obviously, when we go in to do renovation, we will take all of it out, whether it’s in good shape or not,” she said.

The last major campus housing renovation project included the removal of asbestos from rooms in Darnall Hall last summer.

Nevils resident Vania Reyes (SFS ’11), said that while most Nevils residents weren’t aware that the building has asbestos, the fact did not come as a shock.

“Does it surprise me?” she said. “Not entirely.”

Andrew Sugrue (COL ’12), also a Nevils resident, said he too did not know about the asbestos.

“Us Nevils residents have had a pretty bad semester and year,” he said.

Nevils is the final residence hall to be renovated in recent years and has lately experienced problems with plumbing, as well as a power failure in January.

“Nevils has not been renovated for 20-some years now — it’s the last of the residence halls to be renovated,” Frank said. “It’s almost time to start the renovation cycle over again, but right now, Nevils is in the worst shape.”

The university first announced the project to Nevils residents in an email last month, stating that the project would consist of new heating and cooling systems, lighting and windows, complete renovations to bathrooms and kitchens and updates to the fire alarm system as well as the replacement of furniture.

Frank added that once interior work is completed, renovations will also include work on the exterior of the building.

“Exterior work on the brick and cornices, as well as work in the courtyard, particularly the patio, will continue through the fall semester,” she said.

As one of 54 seniors who live in Nevils, Reyes will be asked to move out of Nevils and into another residence hall before graduation.

“It’s just slightly inconvenient,” she said.

But overall, Reyes said she is glad the building is finally being renovated.

“It’s nice that it’s getting a makeover,” she said. “I love that building.”

Sugrue said that he was jealous when he heard about the renovations, which will be completed after he leaves the building.

“Hopefully the people living in Nevils next year will have a better living experience,” he said.

— Hoya Staff Writer Ariella Park contributed to this report.