Amid mild criticism, Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E unanimously passed a Student Bill of Rights Tuesday, formally articulating for the first time students’ place in the community.

The bill was proposed to the ANC by commissioners Justin Kopa (COL ’03) and Justin Wagner (COL ’03). Kopa and Wagner brought the ANC a second draft of the Student Bill of Rights after the resolution was postponed from the Sept. 4 meeting.

The updated Community Resolution Concerning University Students “affirms the right of university students to full participation in community and civic affairs and opposes illegal discrimination against all citizens based upon matriculation status. ANC2E encourages students to inform themselves about the surrounding communities and to actively seek ways to make a positive contribution to the neighborhood.”

To gain support for the resolution, Wagner and Kopa went door to door, asking residents for their opinions. Despite mixed support, Wagner believes that the resolution is about treating students like everyone else.

Not everyone, however, met the resolution with as much enthusiasm.

“It’s not that I am anti-student; it is just that I am against the inappropriate behavior of some of them,” said Caren Pauley, a resident of Georgetown and who has served on the ANC for the past eight years. “Often vandalism and rowdiness are directly attributed to drunkenness and while this is surely the behavior of a small percent it nevertheless makes life in the community very unpleasant for a great many hardworking, tax-paying citizens.”

Wagner also proposed the idea for a four-person committee that would have public hearings addressing student misconduct.

“Next month we’ll hold a meeting, which will be public, in order to discuss specific areas of student conduct,” Wagner said.

ANC Commissioner Peter Pulsifer said, “I think that this motion responds to the concerns brought before the ANC by students of delegations that they were discriminated against. I support this resolution and I support the inclusion of students into the community life and I believe that it can be done in a responsible way.”

The eight person board passed the resolution unanimously.