Hoyas are no strangers to burglaries in their residence halls. Just last week, two burglaries in Henle left several students without laptops, purses and other valuables. The students involved were quick to blame a faulty entrance door leading to the stairwell of the tower and subsequently the university for failing to fix it in a timely manner.

While this board does not seek to diminish the gravity of the university’s lack of facilities management in this particular case, we feel that it is time to remind students themselves that the blame does not and should not always lie entirely with Georgetown maintenance workers.

It is true that Georgetown’s facility management is not up to speed with a plethora of issues on campus. Yet, the most recent oversight in Henle involving faulty entrance doors is a much more serious issue than the out-of-date maps dotting our campus, since it puts student safety directly at risk. When examining the seemingly never-ending inventory of repairs on this campus, facilities management would do well to put these student safety hazards at the top of its to-do list.

Yet, even if the university is to blame for faulty entrance doors, this opportunity merely allows potential thieves advancement into the stairwells or the hallways of any residence on campus. In order to get their hands on students’ valuables with no sign of forced entry, as is many times the case, an apartment or room door must be left unlocked or ajar. This carelessness is where students themselves should accept responsibility. Whether day or night, students must continue to heed the “Lock Your Door!” campaign publicized by the Student Safety Advisory Board and avoid potential negligence and ultimately, future burglaries.

It is only through the persistent combination of students taking the correct safety precautions and facilities management ensuring proper upkeep of issues related to student safety that we may be able to avoid such unfortunate situations in the future.