The Georgetown sailing team will have to overcome the offseason losses of several key sailors if it expects to match last year’s results, which included first-place finishes at both the Navy Fall Intersectional and the MAISA/SAISA Intersectional and No. 2 rankings at one point of the season for both the coed and women’s teams.

The team also qualified for the ICSA Team Nationals for the fourth consecutive year. At the national championships in Detroit, the Hoyas finished seventh in a field of 14, advancing to the championship round robin but losing four of seven races to Dartmouth, Hobart/William Smith, St. Mary’s and Tufts. Harvard emerged victorious, with a 5-2 record in the final round.

But very little will make up for the loss of Andrew Campbell, which head coach Mike Callahan said would be the team’s “biggest hurdle” going into the upcoming season.

Campbell shined as one of the elite sailors in the nation as a freshman last year, becoming the first Hoya in school history to be honored as an All-American in his first year. He won the ICSA Singlehanded National Championship, captured the U.S. and World Junior titles and earned the U.S. Sailing Association’s Male Athlete of the Year accolades.

His successes garnered an invitation to train for the U.S. Olympic Trials this fall. Campbell will take a leave of absence from Georgetown for at least the first semester of 2003 in order to prepare.

His departure may be somewhat offset by a flurry of new arrivals, as the past successes of the program – particularly a national championship in 2001 – have attracted freshmen J.B. Turney, Langdon Mitchell, Seamus Kraft and Caroline LaMotte to the team. The coaching staff does not expect them to see much sailing time this season, though.

“This year, we’re looking for seniors to step up,” Callahan said.

Seniors Tyler Haskell and Thatcher Spring were ranked as the top two freshmen in the country entering the university in 2000, but have since been unable to match the levels of achievement they reached in high school.

Senior Bill Jorch, junior Steve Streit and sophomore Ed duMoulin are among the other notable returning sailors to the coed team. Returning women’s team members include sophomore Derby Anderson, senior Eliza Ryan and sophomore Jackie Schmitz.

The Hoyas’ women’s and coed sailing teams enter the 2003 season ranked seventh and 10th in the nation, respectively.

Georgetown opens its season the weekend of Sept. 13-14, when it competes in the Captain Hurst Bowl at Dartmouth.