U.C. Berkeley Calls For Anti-War Movement

By Eve Lotter Daily Californian

(U-WIRE) BERKELEY, Calif. – Alarmed by President Bush’s declaration that the nation is headed to a “new war” against terrorism, some students at the University of California at Berkeley have already set up a coalition calling for an anti-war movement.

Students from UC Berkeley and at least 30 different schools across the country are organizing marches, rallies and teach-ins to take place on Thursday as part of a “National Day of Action Against Scapegoating Arab-Americans and To Stop the War,” organizers said.

“I don’t think more violence will solve the problem,” said Brian Marsh, a Berkeley, Calif., resident who has joined the anti-war coalition.

UC Berkeley students had already organized a meeting to gather anti-war activists last Friday, after President Bush told Americans to prepare for a long, drawn out military conflict to attack the terrorists who brought down the World Trade Center and part of the Pentagon.

Organizers said 200 students met in Wheeler Hall and approved three points for the burgeoning coalition: to stop the war; to defend Arab- American, Middle-Eastern, and Muslim communities against racist scapegoating; and to defend civil liberties.

The UC Berkeley group, called the Stop the War Coalition, began tabling on Sproul Plaza Monday, and had a table at the campuswide memorial service. Organizers were handing out green armbands to show support for the Muslim and Arab-American communities.

Green is a traditional Muslim color for peace and unity, according to the group’s literature.

Within 20 minutes of setting up their table, the coalition had collected a page of signatures.

A member of the Stop the War Coalition, said UC Berkeley has the potential to become the focus of a national peace movement.

Harvard University, the University of Michigan, the University of Wisconsin at Madison and San Francisco State are among the many campuses where students are organizing for peace.

The president of the Berkeley College Republicans, said that though he has not yet heard much about the anti-war movement on campus, his group and the Cal Berkeley Democrats believe those responsible for Tuesday’s attacks must be punished.

Campus Democrats agreed with Republicans in saying the country must not turn against Americans of Middle Eastern descent.

Cornell Medical Students Assist WTC Rescue Efforts

By Jennifer A. Roberts Cornell Daily Sun

(U-WIRE) ITHACA, N.Y. – More than one week after the tragedy that led to the collapse of the World Trade Center, Cornell University medical school students and physicians are working around the clock to aid in the rescue efforts.

“A heroic and courageous effort is going on,” said yrna A. Manners, vice provost for public affairs of the Joan and Sanford I. Weill ’55 Medical College.

But many people are frustrated that they cannot do more to help, she added. Despite the magnitude of the destruction, very few volunteers have been needed.

The New York-Presbyterian Healthcare System, which is associated with Cornell, has treated more than 500 patients from the tragedy.

But the hospitals are staffed to accommodate more than twice that number of patients, according to Manners.

Lisa Staiano-Coico, senior associate dean for research at the medical school, said it was touching how quickly the rescue efforts got underway after the collapse of the Twin Towers.

“Naturally, the first reactions were shock and horror,” Staiano-Coico said. “But then, very quickly, it was really amazingly wonderful how everyone mobilized to volunteer.”

Cornell medical and graduate students organized themselves to come in shifts to the emergency room to see if any volunteers were needed. Others collected water, clothing and supplies for the rescue workers.

Physicians at the William Randolph Hearst Burn Center of the medical school cared for more than 25 patients.

Seven ambulances from the New York-Presbyterian Healthcare System were crushed in the process. Three paramedics are missing.

“The chances of recovering any live human beings are very, very small now, given the amount of time and the condition of the site,” Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani said at a news conference Tuesday, as seen in The New York Times.

Giuliani said 218 bodies had been recovered from the devastation, and 152 of them had been identified. The number of missing people is officially 5,422.

Since the attacks on the World Trade Center, most of the effort has focused on looking for survivors. But Giuliani said Tuesday that recovery efforts will now be emphasized.

Since the disaster, only five survivors have been pulled from the rubble of the collapsed towers.

The rescue efforts brought out the best in New Yorkers, Staiano-Coico said.

`Everyone Will Be Touched’ Say Grant Valley Professors

By Wendi Hailey The Lanthorn

(U-WIRE) ALLENDALE, Mich. – The effects of the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon are being felt today, and will likely remain for a long time.

Dr. James David Ballard is a Grand Valley State University assistant professor in criminal justice and an expert in terrorism. He said it is important for students to understand and discuss what happened.

“Take an active role in understanding the situation and not just reacting to it,” he said. “It’s okay to be angry, but don’t act on it.”

“Terrorism is a symbolic act, and that symbolism is designed to change normal behavior,” he said. “And yesterday it did. Things are going to change.”

Ballard said terrorism is not usually performed in the magnitude it was on Tuesday.

Ballard said people are all affected either directly or indirectly by this catastrophe.

“Everyone will be touched,” he said. “This brings out the idea that we have a community and society that’s affected.”

Ballard also said that in the aftermath of what happened people need to remember who they are. He said that with indications of the terrorists being from the Middle East, people should not use stereotypes to judge entire ethnicities and religions.

Jim Goode, coordinator of Middle East studies, said people should seek out information and get answers to some of their questions. He said administrators are trying to provide a forum for students to ask questions and express concerns. They might also educate others about Middle East cultures to alleviate any prejudices that might be building up.

“The handful of people who did it don’t represent the people on campus who happen to share the same ethnicity and religion,” he said.

He also wanted people to understand that many people around the world feel that they have legitimate grievances against the United States. The United States often carries out policies and programs that are harmful to other people’s interests.

Jim Crawley, associate director for international recruitment, said the terrorists likely do not represent the feelings of the entire country they’re from.

“No one, regardless of where they’re from, wanted this,” Crawley said.

Erika King, chair of the political science department, said a public opinion poll, taken by ABCNEWS/The Washington Post, showed that 94 percent of Americans are willing to have the military hunt down and punish terrorists. An equal number is willing to attack the terrorists, and 80 percent are willing to, even if it leads to war.

Another ABC NEWS/Washington Post poll showed that 99 percent of Americans watched or listened to the broadcast news reports.

Flag Sales Skyrocket

By Ayrel Clark Iowa State Daily

(U-WIRE) AMES, Iowa – As the smoke and debris begin to clear from the sites of last week’s terrorist attacks, one thing still flies high – the American flag.

Citizens across the nation have rushed to buy U.S. flags to show support for the country. Stores nationwide are selling this symbol of America in extraordinary numbers.

Retail stores are reporting that red, white and blue items are the best sellers. In the Ames, Iowa, area, stores such as Wal-Mart and Kmart have dramatically increased sales of patriotic items since the Sept. 11 attacks on the Pentagon and the World Trade Centers.

Wal-Mart manager intern Eric Phillips said there was “a huge resurgence in flag sales.”

Phillips said the Ames Wal-Mart, near the Iowa State University campus, has sold out of American flags every day it had them in stock.

“People are buying flags to show their patriotism and to show the rest of the world, specifically terrorists, that we are one nation,” he said.

Symbols such as the American flag are important because they make a statement, said Steffen Schmidt, university professor of political science.

“People feel patriotic when something happens that hurts Americans or involves American soldiers,” he said.

Donations are another way Americans can help support their country and the victims.