Harvard Protestors Surround Horowitz Speech on Leftists

By Tori Cook

The Daily Free Press

(U-WIRE) BOSTON – Demonstrators flocked to Harvard University Thursday to protest the coming of David Horowitz, the former civil rights lawyer who has spoken out against reparations for slavery at universities across the country, including last year at Boston University.

Horowitz came to Harvard to comment on the school’s “leftist” professors and express his belief that the political left is to blame for Sept. 11.

“Protest David Horowitz, racist ideologue for U.S. imperialism! Defend black rights!” yelled the group of 15 protesters, armed with pickets and a loudspeaker, at passing college students and watchful police officers.

Horowitz was invited by the Harvard Republican Committee to stop in during his spring campus campaign on “National Service and Uncivil Wars.”

“He’s not afraid to say things others won’t, and we wanted to mix things up on campus,” HRC President Brian Grech said. “The Republican Club doesn’t necessarily agree with what he is saying, but he’s a voice worth hearing.”

Protesters from the Boston Spartacus Youth Club, a socialist group, used the controversial speaker’s appearance as a platform for a number of socialist issues, including U.S. imperialism and the War on Terrorism.

“Horowitz is cloaked under the guise of free speech but only wants it for people who support U.S. imperialism,” said protester Jesse Alt, a BU graduate student and member of Spartacus.

“His tour also demonizes anyone who opposes the war in Afghanistan,” Alt said. “Anyone who supports us can come out and speak.”

The sentiment of most passersby, however, was not in accordance with the protesters.

“I don’t understand exactly what they’re protesting against. They are very unfocused,” Boris Shakhnovich, a BU student said. “They keep bringing in other issues when to them this is a First Amendment right issue and David Horowitz has just as much right to say things as they do.”

Horowitz, author of the controversial books “Uncivil Wars” made news at college campuses around the country last year for printing ads in college newspapers, including The Daily Free Press and the Harvard Crimson, against reparations for slavery. According to Grech, Horowitz wasn’t allowed to speak on reparations for slavery yesterday, but he did publish another ad in the Harvard Crimson newspaper Tuesday.

Many Harvard students who watched the protest still went in to hear Horowitz speak, preferring to hear both sides of the argument before casting a judgment.

Roughly 500 Pink Eye Cases Diagnosed at Dartmouth

By Caitlin A. Harrington

The Harvard Crimson

(U-WIRE) CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Princeton University and Dartmouth College have recently reported outbreaks of conjunctivitis, raising fears the infection could spread to Harvard. Roughly 500 cases of the illness – commonly known as pink eye – have been diagnosed at Dartmouth since late January, said Dartmouth Health Service’s spokesperson Laurel Stavis. Stavis said it is likely that more cases have gone undetected, since symptoms can be mild.

This year’s outbreak has been so extensive that agents from both the federal Centers for Disease Control and the New Hampshire Bureau of Health traveled to the campus to assess the situation. Stavis said it was “impossible” to determine the outbreak’s cause.

At Princeton, 160 students were diagnosed with conjunctivitis in the last two weeks. Janet Finnie, assistant director of Princeton University’s Health Services, said that while cases of conjunctivitis often peak at this time of year, it is extremely rare for Princeton to have such a large number of infections.

As with Dartmouth, the cause of Princeton’s outbreak is unknown.

Dartmouth has handed out 1,000 containers of antibacterial hand lotion to students in an effort to stem the disease’s spread.

According to the Associated Press, both Dartmouth student health clinic doctors and the CDC have warned the disease may spread to students from other campuses during spring break – as infected students visit friends who go to other colleges. Both viral and bacterial conjunctivitis are highly contagious and spread through direct contact with infected individuals and contaminated objects.

David S. Rosenthal ’59, director of University Health Services allowed for the possibility that a highly contagious disease like pink eye could move from campus to campus. He recalled a similar incident that occurred a few years ago, when an outbreak of stomach flu at Dartmouth led to the infection of 150 Harvard first-years a week later.

Rosenthal said UHS has placed messages on dining hall table tents throughout campus encouraging students to “keep those germs north of the border.”

Conjunctivitis is an infection of the eye in which the conjunctiva -the lining of the eye and the eyelid – becomes irritated and inflamed. The most common symptoms of conjunctivitis are irritation, visual sensitivity and discharge from the eyes.

Sharing makeup, eye medicine or bed sheets can spread the disease. Students can best avoid infection by washing their hands frequently and by not touching their eyes.

Typo Causes Wrong Student Body President To Be Announced

By Ryan Donahue

The Kansas State Collegian

(U-WIRE) MANHATTAN, Kan. – Official Kansas State University-Salina election results revealed Monday afternoon that, because of a typo, the wrong student body presidential ticket was announced as the winner in last week’s general election.

Mike Higley, K-State-Salina student body president and elections chair, announced Monday that Lynsey Burnett and Betty Pina were elected as the first all-female presidential ticket at either campus. Last week, Higley announced that Kevin Gorman and Nick Sulzen had won the election.

According to official results, Burnett and Pina beat Gorman and Sulzen by 29 votes.

Higley said the official iballot.com results for the Salina presidential race were different from the results given to him on arch 6 by the elections committee.

Higley had made the original presidential announcement at the campus election party that night.

The unofficial results put the Gorman-Sulzen ticket 42 votes ahead of the Burnett-Pina ticket.

“When I looked at the official results Monday morning, I realized that there was an error with the totals,” Higley said.

The error was with the total votes from a department on the Salina campus.

“A typo in the spreadsheet had the pilot departments vote totals flipped,” Higley said.

The error altered the close race and illegitimately awarded Gorman and Sulzen the presidency.

Higley had received a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet Wednesday night from Ted Conrad, K-State elections committee chair, via e-mail. Higley said he believes the spreadsheet was a product of cutting and pasting from the crude format of the non-official results from iBallot.com.

“I don’t know who or how the information went from iBallot to Excel. Ted said they felt a need to put it into a more readable form,” Higley said.

According to a press release, Conrad said the unofficial results contained an error in the Aero Department that inverted the vote totals for the Salina SGA presidential race.

He said the election committee regrets any confusion, but reminds involved parties the committee emphasized that the results were subject to change as they became official.

Lynsey Burnett, K-State-Salina student body president-elect, said she and her running mate already had accepted the original results.

“From the beginning, there have been problems. Everyone has been aware of that, but that’s life. We were happy with the results and had accepted the original totals,” Burnett said.

Wisc. Professor Resigns After Comments

y Nathan D. Leaf

The Exponent

(U-WIRE) PLATTEVILLE, Wis. – A University of Wisconsin-Platteville criminal justice adjunct instructor resigned last week, but the reasons for his departure are unclear. UW-P human resources director Kate Kelley said she was notified of Jerry Kuehn’s resignation by Criminal Justice Department chair Joe Lomax on March 8. Kuehn was teaching Crime Prevention, a Monday night class.

According to an e-mail from Kuehn, confirmed by Kuehn via telephone, he was forced to resign because he “was not politically correct.”

Students from the class appear to be divided on the resignation.

Michelle Salentine, one of the students from Kuehn’s class, said Kuehn had made questionable references to homosexuals and blacks in three separate class periods.

“I believe his comments and repeated actions did warrant some kind of punishment like a suspension, possibly, but I’m not exactly sure it warranted his resignation,” Salentine said.

“What I heard wasn’t derogatory,” student Derek Lorbiecki said. “What I heard was [Kuehn] using examples to explain how society is.”

“When he said `nigger’ he was trying to get a rise out of the class,” student Matthew Montag said. In a arch 12 e-mail, Kuehn wrote: “What happened to academic freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of thought and expression? UW-Platteville is four square miles surrounded by reality.”