By Andrea Sarah CohenThe Diamondback

(U-WIRE) COLLEGE PARK, Md. – “Oh, I wish I was an Oscar Mayer wiener!” Despite the famous jingle, most people do not aspire to one day be a condiment-topped baseball game entree. However, there is one University of Maryland alumna who cut the mustard and became one of only 233 people to ever drive the legendary Oscar Mayer Wienermobile.

LaToya Morgan, 21, the only campus graduate to earn the title of “Hotdogger” on her business card, will travel across the country this year as part of the Great American Wienermobile Tour. This year marks the odd vehicle’s 65th anniversary.

Morgan, along with her “Hotdogger” partner, Penn State alumnus Casey Park, is responsible for driving the 27-foot-long Wienermobile across the Midwest. They drive an average of 500 miles per week.

“Eight states in eight days,” she said. “It’s a chance of a lifetime.”

Although “no two days are alike,” Morgan said most of their time is spent doing promotions at grocery stores. At the stores they set up the “Wiener Wheel” and give out prizes – everything from T-shirts to CD-ROMs to the coveted Wiener Whistle toy.

“An average of 50 people come up to me everyday and tell me that just being there has made their day,” Morgan said. “It’s so refreshing.”

Besides grocery store promotions, Morgan and Park have made appearances at golf tournaments, country music festivals, weddings and even Major League Baseball games.

“We were at a Kansas City Royals game a few weeks ago,” Morgan said. “There we were, signing baseballs alongside of the real (baseball) players.

“People think we are celebrities … crazy,” Morgan said.

She first found out about the job from a career workshop taught by Toby Jenkins, coordinator of campus and community outreach for the Nyumburu Cultural Center, to prepare graduating seniors for the “real world.”

Jenkins, a former “Hotdogger” herself, introduced organ to the recruiting representatives from Oscar Mayer. It only took a few months for Morgan to impress the company to become one of the 19 “Hotdoggers” hired for the year.

Soon after graduation, Morgan headed off to Madison, Wis., for a two-week crash course a little driver’s education for Wienermobile chauffeurs. Though she was excited about her new job, organ’s family did not feel the same way at first.

“My parents were very surprised and a bit skeptical,” Morgan said. “But now they understand what it’s all about, they are very supportive and excited for me.”

The Wienermobile that Morgan and Park drive is a 2000 edition, complete with air conditioning, a CD player, a removable “bunroof” and a GPS navigation system.

Nationwide Hook Up Study Reveals University Campus Culture

By Amanda HeymanBadger Herald

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis. – State Street, Saturday night. Drunk boy meets drunk girl. At bar time, they head back to her apartment for some post-party action. It’s a “hook up” – a commonplace college campus phenomenon.

Further down the street, a sickeningly cute couple strolls along discussing plans for the week ahead. Every day’s plans include each other. It has been like this for every day of their two-month relationship. This pair embodies another campus cliche – the “joined at the hip” couple.

These two familiar scenarios are often the only relationship options open to college women today, according to a study conducted by the Institute for American Values. The institute, a non-profit group that promotes the importance of families and fatherhood, surveyed 1,000 college women nationwide who told researchers what many University of Wisconsin-Madison students know all too well – traditional dating has disappeared.

“People are either hooking up or in joined-at-the-hip relationships,” said Elizabeth Marquardt, co-author of the study. “Traditional dating required a man to form a plan, pick a woman and pursue the woman, we didn’t find any rituals [like this] on campuses today.”

Although Marquardt acknowledged that the social rules of past generations should not be resurrected, she said today’s women could benefit from clear relationship milestones.

“Rituals like a guy giving a girl his class ring, or even his asking her on a date, clearly signaled interest, and she could accept or refuse,” Marquardt said. “It helped women know where they stood. They could gradually build an early relationship together without having to immediately be sexually active or have to immediately commit to that person.”

Adding to the ambiguity, the study reported that the term “hook up” lacks a clear definition.

“People usually said a hook up meant anything from kissing to having sex,” Marquardt said. “Some people thought it definitely meant intercourse; some thought it meant everything but intercourse. Three-fourths of women in our national survey agreed a hook up is when a girl and a guy get together for a physical encounter and don’t necessarily expect anything further.”

While the terminology may be new and confusing, sociology professor Myra Marx Ferree said some unwritten rules remain the same. The stud/slut double standard remains prevalent, and men still do most of the choosing.

Florida Student President Arrested for Driving Under the Influence

By Lourdes Briz & Diana MoskovitzIndependent Florida Alligator

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Student Body President Marc Adler was arrested on charges of driving under the influence early Friday morning after Alachua County sheriff’s deputies pulled him over for an expired tag.

Breath tests performed at the Alachua County Jail showed readings of .066 and .063, according to the arrest report. The legal limit for driving in Florida is .08.

Adler would not comment on the incident. Robert Rush, Adler’s attorney, said the breath test proves his client is innocent.

“I hope there is not much of a fight,” Rush said. “Under the law, he was not drunk. He was drinking responsibly, the way we want all students to drink.”

Deputies stopped Adler’s 1997 Porsche at 800 S.W. 34th St. because the tag had expired in April, the report stated. The report described Adler as having “red, bloodshot, watery eyes” and a strong odor of alcohol on his breath.

While speaking to the deputies, Adler stumbled and fell over, then fell over again, said Sgt. James Troiano, spokesman for the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office. After Adler fell a second time, deputies decided to administer the field sobriety tests, which included finger-to-the-nose and standing-on-one-leg tests. Adler failed every test, Troiano said.

“He was placed under arrest because of how he performed at the scene,” Troiano said. “Based on those tests he showed a considerable amount of impairment.”

Rush said he thinks the videotape of the arrest from the officer’s vehicle will prove whether or not Adler was intoxicated.

“Once we all view the video, we will see what actually happened,” Rush said. “There are still a lot of unanswered questions. Why? Did he fall down?”

After completing the tests, Adler was transported to the Alachua County Jail, where he was administered the Intoxilyzer test, which measures blood-alcohol level. About one to one and a half hours elapsed between the time Adler was pulled over to the time the test was performed, Troiano said. The deputies did not administer blood or urine tests to see if Adler was under any influence other than alcohol.

Rush said the amount of time between the arrest and the administration of the test does not affect its validity.

“That is standard practice for how long it takes for all people to be tested with a breath test,” Rush said. “The facts stand for themselves, and he was not drunk,” Rush said.

“This is unfortunate that he has to go through this because of who he is,” Rush said. “We hope to end this quickly.”

Subway’s Conflicting Poster Boys

By Howard KungCavalier Daily

(U-WIRE) CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – Could advertising for two markets create confusion among consumers? Or will it boost sales of submarine sandwiches?

While recent commercials geared to healthy eaters have boosted profits, the Milford, Conn.-based chain is now wondering if its hungry, fat-loving customers are getting left behind.

The company created a campaign that used Jared Fogle, an actual college student at Indiana University, as a spokesperson. Jared went on a diet of six-inch turkey subs and foot-long veggie subs, and coupled with mile-long walks to his local Subway, he lost 245 pounds.

DeLuca worried, however, that there may be an untapped market of hungry youngsters who care less about healthy foods and more about taste.

The initial ads for the hearty subs DeLuca developed used a pushy shadow puppet who urged people to go for Subway’s more traditional sandwiches. In July, Subway introduced another campaign using Jim, who is a normal-sized, sarcastic version of Jared, to promote its new calorie-laden subs. According to Forbes magazine, DeLuca plans to divide the $65 million national ad budget for the two campaigns.