By Jeremy R. Cooke & Renée PetrinaDaily Collegian

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Pennsylvania State University student Timothy Michael Kulp, facing recent charges of indecent assault, died early Tuesday morning after prison officials found him hanging from a shoelace in his Centre County Prison cell.

The 18-year-old freshman was pronounced dead just past midnight at Centre Community Hospital after emergency technicians tried to revive him.

Centre County Coroner Scott Sayers ruled the death a suicide.

“What a shame, what a shock. We did everything we could for him,” said Kulp’s father, Timothy D. Kulp of Pottstown, Pa., in a phone interview Tuesday. “I’ll never see my little boy again.”

University officials called the suicide “a tragedy” after being informed early Tuesday morning.

Kulp was arrested Saturday for allegedly assaulting three sleeping women in their dorm rooms earlier that morning. He was being held in a separate temporary holding cell at the Bellefonte prison on $35,000 bail.

While officials were processing the arrival of a recently arrested woman Monday night, a correction-s officer noticed Kulp was not on his bunk, where he had been 20 minutes earlier, prison warden David Immel said.

A corrections officer discovered Kulp hanging from a shoelace attached to a metal bar on the window at the back of his cell shortly after 11 p.m. Monday, Immel said.

Kulp was unresponsive and only had a faint pulse, Immel said. Officials attempted to resuscitate him while waiting for an ambulance to arrive.

“There was no indication or strong signals from Mr. Kulp that he was contemplating this,” Immel said.

But Kulp’s father said his son had been suffering from depression for several months. Kulp was a model child until he started experiencing emotional problems and depression during the end of his senior year in high school, his father said, adding that the descent into depression was “like lightning.” Kulp’s family took him to a psychiatrist, but he resisted help.

Kulp’s roommate said the problem at home had been underage drinking. Kulp’s father said that drinking exacerbated his son’s depression. When he moved into the dorms, “he promised us he wouldn’t drink,” Kulp’s father said.

Kulp spoke to his family for the last time on Friday night. He told them he had been attending his classes all week. “I guess later on that Friday night he started drinking and went off the deep end,” his father said.

According to what Kulp told police after being arrested, he had been drinking and smoking marijuana at a fraternity party early Saturday.

He told police he went from room to room in Mifflin Hall, looking for unlocked doors.

U. Missouri Students React to McDonald’s Monopoly Scandal

By Jon IsonThe Maneate

COLUMBIA, Mo. – When University of Missouri sophomore Circe Valenzuela heard about the recent McDonald’s Monopoly game scandal, she wasn’t surprised.

“Figures, I never heard of anyone winning,” she said.

On Aug. 21, eight people were arrested in a bust of a fraud scheme involving McDonald’s popular Monopoly game.

Jerome P. “Uncle Jerry” Jacobson stands accused of being responsible for defrauding customers by rigging several promotional games dating back as early as 1995.

Jacobson worked for Simon Marketing, a company McDonald’s put in charge of distributing game pieces for games such as onopoly.

As a security official, Jacobson had access to game pieces. He allegedly sold the $1 million winning pieces to people for a payment of $50,000.

Prizes with smaller values ended up being sold by Jacobson to his family members or friends.

An estimated $13 million was lost.

Jacobson’s defense attorney, Ed Garland, stated in a report he expected indictments to be handed down soon.

McDonald’s company spokesman Walt Riker emphasized the company’s non-involvement in the scam.

“This was a very highly sophisticated, inside game of deception, and the FBI worked very hard to solve the case, and we eagerly helped them,” Riker said. “This company had been working with McDonald’s for more than 20 years.”

McDonald’s has ended its business relationship with Simon arketing.

Riker said an independent advisory board has been established to prevent this from happening in the future.

McDonald’s plans to hold a $10 million giveaway between Aug. 30 and Sept. 3.

“You could be in a drive-thru or at the counter, and someone could literally tap you on the shoulder and say, `You have won $1 million,'” Riker said.

Two independent security companies will oversee the contest, Riker said.

The question of whether customers could pose a viable lawsuit is unclear.

Sophomore Kacey Weman said she thought McDonald’s should be held responsible.

Some students said they weren’t fazed by the scandal.

“It’s a waste of time because you never win anything anyway,” freshman Dan McBride said.

Whatever the result, students have been left with a bad taste in their mouths.

Amnesty International Members Protest Capital Punishment

By Jennifer BurnsOklahoma Daily

NORMAN, Okla. – University of Oklahoma students stood silent and solemn with signs outside of Dale Hall to protest Tuesday’s execution.

This protest was the first time members of Amnesty International had a daytime protest on campus, said Stefanie Collins, group president and ethics and religion senior.

In the past the group has met for night vigils on execution nights, but Collins said they felt a daytime protest would have more impact on students walking to class. The daytime protest has proven to be a better idea.

“Even in the last 20 minutes, we’ve had a bigger impact than we could have had in two hours at night,” Collins said.

Through a silent protest the students of Amnesty International hope to raise awareness of executions that students might not otherwise know about.

Jack Dale Walker was executed at 9 p.m. Tuesday in McAlester for murdering the mother of his child and her uncle. Walker said he might not have committed the murder if he had received psychological help. He sought psychological treatment at a Tulsa, Okla., facility, but was discharged for lack of insurance.

“He needed medical attention before he committed the murders and he wasn’t able to receive it,” Collins said. “We don’t believe in murder. We don’t justify it. We’re not making excuses for those who kill but we do believe that murder of any kind is wrong, even if it is someone who committed a heinous crime.”

Ginger Harkey, University College freshman, participated in the protest. She said she is trying to spread the message that it is wrong for the government to take human lives.

“It’s basic human rights not to have your life taken away by someone else under any circumstances,” Harkey said.

Collins said some students asked questions and gave the group positive feedback, while others turned down the information they handed out.

“We made a point to be silent,” Collins said. “We weren’t aggressive, so we didn’t get aggression back.”

One student passing by the protest said she thought the protest was a good idea. She had recently become interested in how executions are decided.

“We make a lot of decisions for other people that are not our decisions to make,” said Sandee Jordan, broadcasting and electronic media senior.

Amnesty International also protested at the state Capitol at the time of the execution.

“We are a peaceful organization,” Collins said. “We don’t believe in violence or violent attitudes.”

World Bank Protests Imminent

By Tom LoBiancoThe Diamondback

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Questions Tuesday about how protest organizers will handle violence at the upcoming World Bank and International Monetary Fund meetings overshadowed news conference organizers’ themes of debt relief and social change.

Reporters packed the National Press Club’s Murrow Room in Washington Tuesday for a news conference held by a consortium of social and political activists. Robert Weissman, co-director of Essential Action and conference moderator, said potential violence will be addressed in a later news conference and refused to discuss the issue.

Vanessa Dixon, an organizer, promoted ending the privatization of vital human services in countries that borrow from World Bank and IMF and increasing the availability of those services.

“We believe these demands are crucial to the well-being of the people whom the World Bank and IMF purport to help,” Dixon said.

She said she believes students play an important role in the protests and “bring energy and fresh ideas.”

Mobilization for Global Justice organized the “A16” IMF protest in Washington two years ago. The movement has been criticized for presenting scattered criticisms of the World Bank and IMF.