By Mike Gardner Daily Kent Stater

(U-WIRE) KENT, Ohio – Depression is a disease. Drugs and alcohol are sometimes used as medicine, but they are not the cure for the disease.

For a 23-year-old psychology major who wished to remain anonymous, drugs and alcohol brought on a plethora of problems. Depression was one of them.

“I’m a recovering alcoholic and drug addict,” he said. “That really brought it on. I started early in high school. It was like a social lubricant to help me fit in amongst my peers.”

Oct. 11 was National Depression Screening Day.

It provided a chance for people to not only get information about depression, but also get a chance to sit down with a trained facilitator to discuss problems of their own and the problems of others.

These sessions are a familiar situation for him. He was diagnosed with depression more than two years ago.

It’s an up-and-down ride. Sometimes he feels good, but other times he just can’t seem to get up and get his day going.

“There are some days I’ll stay in bed until the early evening,” he said. “It gets real bad when I don’t go to class when I need to.”

Staying in bed may work for a little bit, but it isn’t a permanent solution.

That was the past. He is doing better now, he said. He has been on different medications throughout his bout with depression.

The medicine he is on now seems to be working for him, he said. He is going to his classes and has been more active and not so isolated.

“Over the past couple months, I have been pretty stable,” he said. “There was a period over the summer for a month where I was pretty beat down. I have my ups and downs. It seems to be slowly going up.”

Jamie Pace, a sophomore graphic design major, has many of the same problems when it comes to stress from school work.

“For me, there is a lot of stress in school and with my family,” she said. “It makes concentration levels harder to focus on. There is more to think about. It makes my job harder to focus on. I’m just trying to balance things.”

Throughout the early morning stages of the event, the majority of the participants were female. Dr. John Schell of Psychological Services said it isn’t necessarily that more women suffer from depression, but that women are more likely to want to discuss their problems.

The fact that women are more emotional could also contribute to the influx of females.

Dartmouth Struggles to Find an Official Mascot

By Khalil Ayvar The Dartmouth

(U-WIRE) HANOVER, N.H. – Just like last Homecoming, the football stadium will be lacking one of its “biggest” fans – the moose.

The moose hasn’t really been a part of Dartmouth College games, football or otherwise, since the fall of 2000.

The original appearance of the moose was the result of the efforts of a small group of student athletes who felt that the College needed a mascot at sporting events, in 1996.

The group recruited the Student Assembly president and conducted a Web survey, which concluded with the moose as the clear winner. Other suggestions included the mountaineers and the dragons, and even a reprisal of the infamous and now-banned Indian. A small percentage voted against the idea of a new mascot.

The moose first appeared for a men’s basketball game in the Winter of 1997, in the form of a furry suit with a moose head, made by a student’s mother.

Later, when the antlers began to sag, this costume was replaced with an inflatable, more cartoony moose suit.

Although short of being fully recognized as the College mascot, the moose was embraced by the Dartmouth Athletic department as official “fan entertainment.”

John Villapiano, the most recent man behind the moose, said he received a lot of “personal satisfaction” from the role.

“Kids took to the moose pretty well, and it was a lot of fun.”

Villapiano described how he had been told prior to the Homecoming game last season that the Moose would no longer be working the stands for athletic events, because of alumni pressure. “It was viewed as awkward, they [the athletic department] said, and not the best representation for an Ivy League school.”

He said, “It is a really good thing to have something out there, even as `fan entertainment,’ and not necessarily representing Dartmouth as a mascot.”

Athletics Director Richard Jaeger said the moose was removed from the stands because of reservations toward the choice of the moose.

“The furry moose,” Jaeger said, “seemed good for some humorous anecdotes, but wasn’t great at really stirring the crowd’s energy and excitement.

The moose, Jaeger said, was seen by many as “too gangly” to be a good mascot.

Jaeger repeatedly emphasized that “it didn’t really catch on. We need an idea that catches on.”

“What’s next? That depends on the next good idea. Right now we’re in a holding pattern, waiting to see what ideas come forward.”

U. Houston Student Files Lawsuit Against Newspaper

By Tim Williams The Daily Cougar

(U-WIRE) HOUSTON – A University of Houston student filed a discrimination lawsuit Thursday against The Daily Cougar and editor-in-chief Nikie Johnson, citing her decision not to hire him as a staff opinion writer.

In the suit, filed in Harris County civil court, ShakaZulu Assegai VII alleges that Johnson, who is white, refused to publish his letters because he is, as he states, “an African mentally and physically” and because of his gender. Both are violations of his rights under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the lawsuit claims.

In his suit, which he filed pro se on his own behalf, Assegai demands to be hired in an opinion columnist position and that all his previous letters be published. Additionally, he is seeking a total of $11 million in general, punitive and mental anguish damages.

Assegai claims that Johnson wouldn’t allow his views to be published again following an Aug. 29 letter to the editor because he stated in the letter that “no gays, homosexuals or lesbians would be allowed to join the Africans Coming Home Foundation, and that there were no exceptions to the rules.”

Assegai is the founder of a repatriation group called the Africans Coming Home Foundation which, as he outlines in an Oct. 27 letter to Johnson that wasn’t published, seeks to take “true African-Americans” home so that they can rebuild the “African-Empire.”

While Assegai forbids “homosexuals, bisexuals and drug addicts” from joining the foundation, “people like Iron ike Tyson will be allowed to join,” he wrote.

“The Plaintiff gave the Editor in Chief 14 days to publish some of the letters, And give the Plaintiff a position as an opinion columnist,” the suit states. “The Plaintiff waited for 14 days, but the Defendant fail, neglected, or simply, Refused to comply.”

According to the paper’s policies, published on Page 3 of every issue, UH and The Daily Cougar seek “to provide equal educational opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, handicap or veteran status.”

The paper’s stated policy regarding columns is, “Guest Opinion columns will be accepted at the editor’s discretion and are subject to editing for clarity, content and space.”

Earlier this year, Assegai filed a suit in federal court alleging violations of his civil rights by a host of executive branch officials, including the U.S. Attorney General. It was dismissed “with prejudice” earlier this month because the court found that Assegai failed to state a claim.

`MTV U.’ films U. Connecticut

By Jennifer Hoyt The Daily Campus

(U-WIRE)STORRS, Conn. – Producers of a new series “MTV University” will be on the University of Connecticut campus Tuesday to film for an upcoming show that portrays life on American college campuses.

“We chose University of Connecticut because of its size, appearance and the diversity of the student body,” said Eric Conte, producer of MTV University.

“The purpose of the series is to show college life and what it means to be away from home,” Conte said.

The group plans to film the student union mall at around noon. From there they will go to other prominent places such as the library, frat row and Wilbur Cross.

At 9:30 p.m. they will be at Huskies Fine Food and Drink to get footage of UConn’s bar scene.

“[The producer] called in the middle of happy hour. I thought he was kidding,” said Rob Ellsworth, manager of Huskies, describing how he first found out MTV wanted to film at the bar.

“Hopefully it makes it a better night than it already would have been,” Ellsworth said.

Ellsworth said Huskies appeared on MTV a few years ago in its series “Sex in the ’90s.”

UConn will be the second school featured on “MTV University.” Conte said they plan on shooting footage at Pennsylvania State University, Rutgers University and Villinova University for future shows.

Latest In A Series Of Anthrax Scares Rattles U. Penn Campus

(U-WIRE) PHILADELPHIA – The latest in what has become a wave of false alarms following the nationwide anthrax scare, authorities responded to two more reports of “suspicious” materials on the University of Pennsylvania’s campus Thursday.

With highly potent strains of anthrax now confirmed in Florida, New York and Washington, the Penn community has become very anxious about the threat of bioterrorism.

This week, University Police have received at least five calls about unusual powders or packages – all of which turned out to be harmless.

Thursday, a powdery substance drew University Police and the Philadelphia Fire Department out to the School of Dental Medicine, while an unusual package caused concern inside the Biomedical Research Buildings later in the day.

Both cases, as all others on campus so far, turned out to be unfounded.

“In the interest of safety and everybody’s peace of mind, we are investigating all such incidents and taking appropriate action,” University Police Deputy Chief of Investigations Williams Danks said.

Authorities were first called to the Dental School, located at 4001 Spruce St., when employees there reported seeing a strange powder sitting on a table.

University Police and the Philadelphia Fire Department were dispatched to the scene. Officials then called one of the Philadelphia Fire Department’s Rapid Assessment Teams, which determined through a field test that the substance was nontoxic.

“At first blush, at least, the substance is believed to just be sand,” Danks said.

The second incident involved a suspicious package received at the Biomedical Research Buildings, located at 421 Curie Blvd.

A secretary there received a package from a laboratory in Denmark. Researchers at the complex deal with the Danish laboratory frequently, but were not expecting any packages from them at the time.

University Police were again dispatched, and called the Denmark lab, which confirmed that they had indeed sent the package.

According to Danks, University Police have been swamped with similar kinds of reports all week.

Thursday, University President Judith Rodin, Executive Vice President John Fry and Provost Robert Barchi sent an e-mail to the entire Penn community, offering tips on handling mail and assessing the risk of a potential anthrax attack on campus.

“At this point, neither Philadelphia nor any university has had any incidents of bioterrorism, and we have no reason to believe that will change,” the e-mail read. “However, while the risk of contracting any disease from the mail is extremely low, it is important that we remain vigilant in taking precautions against this potential threat.”

On Tuesday, Penn and city officials responded to a call at the Graduate Student Center, located at 3615 Locust Walk.

Employees there noticed a suspicious powder on the floor, but it was later determined to be nontoxic – likely construction residue.

And on Monday, there were two reports of unusual powders – one at the Ivy Grille, located at 3611 Walnut St., and one at the office buildings at 3401 Walnut St.

Police Respond To Anthrax Call At Barnard

(U-WIRE) NEW YORK – For approximately 30 minutes , Barnard’s main quad was completely shut down due to an anthrax scare.

From around 12:15 a.m. until 12:45 a.m., New York Police Department officers and Columbia University security guards blocked the entrances of Sulzberger, Hewitt, Reed and Brooks halls, barring any students from entering or exiting them.

The shutdown occurred as a reaction to an incident in which student Margaret Chen found a suspicious-looking white powder in a Time magazine.

“The NYPD was here,” said the Supervisor of Barnard Security at the time of the incident, George Koserowski. “They looked at the substance. They didn’t think it was anything, but to be safe they removed it. They took it away to be examined and to be tested.”

At around 9:30 p.m., Chen began reading the magazine in her room on the fifth floor of Sulzberger Hall. She soon began to notice a small amount of white powder in the crease of the pages she was reading.

When Chen reached an article titled “Son of the New World Order,” which featured photos of George Bush, Tony Blair, Ariel Sharon and Vladimir Putin, she immediately noticed a significant amount of white powder in the crease between the two pages.

Chen, who did not have any physical reaction to her contact with the powder, described it as appearing “flaky, like dried salt from a science experiment.”

“Initially I was really scared,” Chen said. “I wasn’t sure if I was being paranoid or taking necessary precautions.”

Chen called security at approximately 10:15 pm, and Koserowski arrived at her room within 10 minutes. He closed the window and then examined the magazine.

Although Chen contacted Barnard security at 10:15 pm, the New York Police Department did not arrive until 12:15 am.

After the police department closed off all access to and from the quad, rumors and even a degree of panic set in.

“People got scared because they didn’t know what was going on,” said Danielle Love.

But Chen, who did not think she had contracted anthrax, reacted much more calmly. “I know that if I have it I can be treated with antibiotics, so I guess I’ll be fine,” she said.

The New York Police Department offered no comment as to the current state of tests being conducted on the powder.

Anthrax Fears Lead To Mail Confiscation at Harvard

(U-WIRE) CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Harvard University and assachusetts Institute of Technology communities felt the impact of the nation’s anthrax scare Tuesday, as authorities confiscated suspicious pieces of mail at both institutions.

At Harvard, two separate letters caught the attention of the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD).

At 12:30 p.m., HUPD received the first notice of a suspicious letter at the Mallinkcrodt Laboratory. Thirty minutes later, another suspicious letter was reported at the Jefferson Laboratory.

In both cases, the senders of both letters were unknown to the letters’ recipients. Iinvestigation determined that the letters were “suspicious enough to take away,” said HUPD spokesperson Steven G. Catalano.

However, neither letter was suspicious enough to warrant a call for help from the Cambridge Fire Department (CFD) Hazardous aterial (HAZMAT) crews.

“We have nothing to believe that they were bio-safety hazards, but we’re being extra cautious these days,” Catalano said.

At MIT, a lecturer in the school’s foreign languages and literature department found a teaspoon of white powder in a piece of mail Tuesday

The man contacted MIT Police, which, in turn, notified CFD HAZMAT.

The powder was taken to a state laboratory for testing, and its composition is expected to be released today.

Soon thereafter, the MIT medical department took steps to decontaminate both the building and any individuals who were exposed to the powder.

A second report of white powder proved to be a false alarm, according to a statement by David Diamond of the MIT Medical Department. The powder turned out to be dust from construction.

The scares led officials at both schools to reassure the community.

Tuesday, University President Lawrence H. Summers posted a statement on the Harvard Web site in response to the heightened anxieties.

“Harvard remains in continuing contact with the appropriate public authorities, and we have no information to suggest that anyone within our community is at particular risk,” he wrote.

Princeton Student Pleads Guilty in Assaults

(U-WIRE) PRINCETON, N.J. – The Princeton University Pharmacy at the U-Store is sold out of the antibiotic Cipro – used to treat anthrax among other illnesses – as customers stock up on the drug.

Given the recent incidents of anthrax throughout the nation and in local areas, the Princeton Pharmacy – located inside the U-Store near the University Place entrance – has experienced a significant increase in requests for the antibiotic Cipro.

“Some requests have come up,” pharmacist Donna Zagoreos said, explaining that the anthrax situation has strained the pharmacy’s ability to provide the drug to all the requests.

“We did order an extra bottle or two,” she noted, but said that Cipro is currently unavailable at the pharmacy as well as at some other area vendors.

After filling yesterday’s prescriptions, the pharmacy’s supply of Cipro was almost entirely depleted.

Zagoreos said she has been unable to obtain more from the wholesaler that usually provides for the pharmacy.

Part of the problem is that treating anthrax requires a large quantity of the medication.

“It’s a multi-spectrum antibiotic,” Zagoreos said, explaining that it has various other uses, such as treating traveler’s diarrhea, respiratory infections and urinary tract infections.

For these more common ailments, Cipro is usually only prescribed for up to 10 days, Zagoreos said, adding that anthrax treatment usually lasts for at least 30 days. Most Cipro requests take between six and 20 pills, but anthrax prescriptions call for between 60 and 100 pills.

Zagoreos noted that the pharmacy is not experiencing a large increase in the number of Cipro prescriptions filled, only in the quantity of Cipro that each prescription requires. She estimated that the pharmacy has filled about 10 anthrax-treatment-sized prescriptions in the past few days.

Cipro works against diseases, including anthrax, by attacking the bacteria that cause them, Zagoreos said. Targeting bacterial DNA, Cipro inhibits the bacteria’s ability to reproduce, causing it to eventually die out.